1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many students do full-time private tutors maintain?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by kinkarso, Apr 8, 2012.

1. I am just curious, how many unique students per week do full-time tutors usually maintain?
    Also, do you know approximately how many unique students in total you have worked with over a
    given time frame?
    Thanks!
    Donny

2. I am just curious, how many unique students per week do full-time tutors usually maintain?
    Also, do you know approximately how many unique students in total you have worked with over a
    given time frame?
    Thanks!
    Donny

3. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

I think that you will find that the answer is about as long as a piece of string. It depends on the time of year and the type of students I have at any given time. The maximum hours I am prepared to work every week at the busiest time of year is about 40, but that isn't teaching hours alone as it includes all the prep work for lessons and running the business as well. Maybe you should ask a different question. Some students I see fortnightly, and last year I saw one for three hours a week. Another one turns up about a month before his exams and is in his third year with me and just takes any cancellations I have. In July, which is my quietest month I probably actually teach about six hours a week, in August I don't teach at all and in April and May if existing clients are asking for extra time I probably hit about 30 hours for a couple of weeks. I can't sustain that level for any longer as my personal life and family fall to pieces!

4. Thanks for the insightful response Georginalouise!