1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many senior managers at your school?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by teacherphil, Sep 8, 2012.

1. I work in a small school of about 600 students.After a couple of years of the usual 'restructuring' we now have 8 people on our senior management team. 2 of them are non teachers. I think this is too many. Just out of interest how many are there at your school compared to the number of students?

2. I work in a small school of about 600 students.After a couple of years of the usual 'restructuring' we now have 8 people on our senior management team. 2 of them are non teachers. I think this is too many. Just out of interest how many are there at your school compared to the number of students?

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

About 7...for 1400 students.

4. jpd1903

jpd1903 New commenter

WE have 1 head 2 deputy heads and 3 assistant heads. 6 for 1400 students.
    8 is top heavy.

5. Have known 12 in a primary with only 450 students.
    Equally have known a PRU with 6 for 150 students and a secondary with 4 for 1600.

IMO it is not the number that is signficant, but the effectiveness.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

too many
    the more there are the less teaching they do and the more out of touch they get
    i remember it was always 1 head, 1 or two deputies and a couple of senior teachers regardless of the size of the school. I am talking comprehensives of up to 2000 pupils. And the number of admin staff has similarly mushroomed. And at teh same time the staff room has been taken over by non-teachers, they are the only ones with time to use it!
    In fact are Teachers now in the minority in staff within schools?

7. We have abour 330 pupils. I Head 1 Deputy 5 assistant heads PA also classed as SLT as is Business Manager.

8. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

1700+ kids
    1 HT
    2DHT
    6 AHT
    Or as some have already said...too many!

9. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

700 kids (give or take) with 1 HT, 2 DH and 2 AH plus one member of SLT who isn't really Deputy or Assistant! Seems a lot for the number of children but they all seem to have very specific tasks to do...

10. The last school I was at had a period of two years with 21, yes 21 senior leaders if you included the wider slt team. It was a complete joke and funnily enough the school had an enormous deficit. There were only 1400 kids and in the end they got round it by making loads of people redundant and then getting new people in as consultants, some of whom, I believe, billed for eight days work in a week! Glad I moved on!

11. 8 to 900 (secondary comp)