1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many prams do you have?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by snowcloud, Dec 31, 2011.

1. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

Me and OH were just having a discussion and I googled this and was amazed. How many do you have? It's weird how we've collected a few up but they all seem good for different purposes.

2. 1 that is at ours - 1 at OH's parents and 1 at my mums. Can borrow from anywhere if necessary.

3. We've got two- pram and little buggy for the car. Why, do some people have lots??

4. snowcloud

snowcloud New commenter

apparently so, and many of them. x

5. 1, much hated and rarely used, she's usually worn instead.

6. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

Same as Bunique - although as she's getting older she's less inclined to nap on me, so the two days a week we go to different towns where there are activities, I use the pram after them and walk in the parks.
    Tootling about the village though, we use the sling as you can't go far here with a pram! Plus, it's a faff getting it from the car and putting it away again!

7. MrsDetermined

MrsDetermined New commenter

Three.
    We bought a M&P Ultima before my son was born and loved it until he outgrew the carrycot part. I just found it awkward with the seat unit on so bought a phil and teds Explorer. I use both, it depends on the outing. A few months ago I gave in and bought an umbrella fold pushchair for the car.
    I would happily buy another travel system next time if I thought I could get away with it.

8. We have just the one, Babystyle Oyster Travel System we got when she was born. I am too tight to buy another! I really don't understand why people do? It lives in the car, but we deliberately bought a car with a massive boot when I was pregnant so we could fit in whatever pram we decided to buy. That sounds silly but we needed a new one anyway so bought a second hand picassso.

9. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

We had a Quinny buzz 3 wheeler when LO (now 1) was born, it was excellent with the carrycot and Maxicosi carseat to clip on when she was asleep in it. As she was very small, we used the carrycot up until about 5 months then switched to the pushchair seat. Also very good, but then we inherited a battered Maclaren Techno XT which I fell in love with. We used a combination of both up until recently, then decided the Quinny was too heavy and cumbersome, and the Maclaren too shabby, so put the Quinny in the loft for number 2 (never mind as it was half price nearly-new on ebay and got lots of use out of it, and can hopefully use for number 2). Old Maclaren has been given away on freecycle and we bought a shiny new Maclaren Techno XT from Mothercare in the sale which is amazing. Lightweight, compact, easy to steer, safe harness, nice basket, looks good.
    For me, a travel system was great at the start, especially with the carrycot and clip-on car seat, but a decent stroller is better now. I don't really know how people can collect loads and loads of prams though, unless you have a huge garage (ours is converted so the stroller lives in my boot!)

10. jubileebabe

jubileebabe New commenter

We're just looking into prams at the moment and debating whether one is really necessary.
    How much use are you getting out of yours and how long can the carrycot part be used for? I'm wondering whether a full reclining pushchair and a sling would be enough, especially considering the cost of the full travel systems (over €500 here in Italy [​IMG] )

11. nmason

nmason New commenter

I got the Britax BSmart 3 after tonnes of research. We do lots of off roading and I couldn't be bothered with flat tyres. It has been brilliant (since I got the 2011 model, the 2010 was riddled with faults!). I still use it and my lo is 18 months. I love how I can see him still if I want. It is large but as I said I go off road a lot and most off roaders are. I have a mamas and papas lightweight pushchair for using when I have to drive our Yaris (husband commutes to work some days and takes the larger car). I don't really like it as it isn't as smooth as the Britax and takes a bit more pushing [​IMG]. I can understand why people have two buggies, but more doesn't make sense unless they didn't do much research.

12. Jubileebabe, we did exactly what you are considering - bought a sling and the Maclaren XLR, which reclines fully. We're in Spain and had the same issue with prices. It was good value to order the Maclaren from John Lewis. Even with delivery it worked out cheaper than Mothercare or Boots, and certainly lots cheaper than anything available in the shops here. We need to be able to get ours up and down stairs to our flat, so a pram was out of the question.

13. We had one travel system- used it a couple of times at the start when I didn't know much about slings, she stayed in the car seat fast asleep. I will sell it at some point. It seemed such a major decision at the time.
    Used a sling 99% of the time, pram was also a handy shopping trolley for the market with baby in sling

I now use a stroller and a sling- there is a short cut into town up a few steps and I can't lift the travel system over it but I can the stroller- it is also easier in shops as doesn't take up as much room.

14. 2
    Maclaren XLR - it's a travel system and will fit a carrycot (fab!) and car seat (never bothered fitting the car seat, used the carrycot then reclined the chair)
    Maclaren quest - really small pushchair for fitting in the boot of grandmas' corsa and C1.
    Love my XLR. LO always looks so comfortable in it and very cosy with the big cosy toes on.

15. 3...
    we got an iCandy Cherry travel system when LO1 was born and used it every day until she was 16 months I think...we then bought a maclaren for travelling as it was way easier in airports and as neither of our families live in UK we were travelling a lot. We then got pregnant with LO2 and got a phil and teds...
    so to sum up our maclaren now lives at my parents (we moved out of UK), the iCandy cherry now lives in our shed waiting to go to my sister when she has her baby, and we use the phil and teds as our main buggy now as we have our 3 week old. Weirdly my LO1 was never a massive fan of buggies in general, she hated being strapped in. But she absolutely loves the p&t... must be the thrill of sitting on top of her brother!

16. we got the bbay elegance travel system and use it all the time (lo is 17months). got a cheapie hauck pushchair for lo to use at my mums when he's loooked after there - i never remember to leave mine out for when my mil looks after him and my parents take him out loads.
    lo 2 is due in 4 weeks so we got a graco tandem thing.

17. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We had an icandy apple and used it for my son pretty much every day until he was 22 months old when my daughter was born, and then we converted it to a pear. He wasn't often sitting in it at 22 months, but would still have a nap on a long day out.
    We bought a Silver Cross Fizz in the sale when he was 6 months old and kept that at my MIL's, and now my daughter is 8 months old she has an O'Baby lightweight stroller as I don't really like the Silver Cross one. I only use the Pear if we go out all day, although it is useful to restrain a very active 2.5 year old who refuses to let you hold his reins!