1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many points progress each year is expected from your children?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rachste, Jun 29, 2008.

1. teacherofmany

teacherofmany New commenter

Yep, that is 5 years progress in one and yes, that is ridiculous. What I think it really shows is a couple of things; that the children had the potential to make the expected level of progress last year but due to behaviour issues the children's performance suggested that they hadn't made any progress and that by teaching technique (both for tests and for general 'how do I respond to this?'ness) the children have the confidence to tackle things they didn't bother to at the end of Y5.

2. Last year I was expected to get 2 sublevels (ie 4 points) progress average from children not on the SEN register. It was acknowledged that some children on the SEN register might struggle to progress that fast. (Though of course if all children at 2b in year 2 made 4 points every year, they would all reach 5c in year 6, so all average children would end up above average...) Anyway, can you really judge the levels that accurately over one year, especially if you have performance management targets influencing your judgments?
    I *do* think it's a sensible aspirational target to have - just not sensible for performance management - and the guidance about perf man says it shouldn't be just data based anyway.

3. we measure high and low sub levels (sub-levelling a sub level - its great fun! we highlight statements for individual children and then if they have 80% of a level its high and 25% is a low.

Dont shout at me i'm not a part of the SMT!

4. Lucky, lucky you, rainbow! That sounds such fun! Much better than doing some exciting teaching!

5. I still do exciting teaching! :-(

6. Rachste

Rachste New commenter

So... 3/4 points a year is OK to aim for but not 3/4 sub levels? Think I was getting the two confused. How many points is a sub level? 3? Sorry - I am a slow learner.

7. one sub level = 2 points :)

8. 2 points in a sub level.

We do it slightly differently. We set for Maths and literacy. Top sets have class average target of 4.5 points per year and lower sets 3 points. This is to recognise that the HAs generally make faster progress. We then look at pupils who make below average iprovement withing the set. Those on SEN register will be dealt with within their own criteria which might not necessarily include point progress but social factors as well.

Pupils can be moved sets after review meeting but in reality teachers know whether or not pupils would benefit from a move before assessment data is looked at. Although it often backs up TA.

TAs are used to support classes where they are needed and this can change through the year. (We don't have a TA for each class).

9. OMG.... what happened to teaching?!

APS has not yet hit us but smacks of new Labour fiddling...

.. but I'll reserve judgement until I get involved!

10. We do the calss average as we are aware that pupils can plateau. If the class average is on track then we know that things are moving in the right direction.

Often when we track back for pupils who are below expectaions we find they have made exceptional progress the year before. I have a pupil who has made 12 points progress this year. I presume he will not do the same next. If he makes slow progress next year, this year's progress will be taken into account.

11. Generally we are expected to move the children up by 3 sublevels. However, in year 2, if we did this they would not hit their end of KS1 targets. So usually the target is to move them up 5 sublevels. Most of my children came in at below level 1 this year with targets of 2b or 2a. My 'top lot' came in at 1a with targets of level 3.

12. 5 sub-levels or 5 points? I cant believe that its so different from area to area!

13. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Average child- 4 points KS1; 3 points KS2.

14. arianasarah866

arianasarah866 New commenter

Our target set by the LEA this year was to get 70% of children from (average P7/8) entry in year 2 up to 2C minimum (2B preferred).

15. Where has this points thing come from? I've never heard of it. Splitting sublevels? Give me strength.

Five years progress in one year indeed. My new class next year have made similar progress in reading and writing - or they had until I checked them myself.

16. We do what we are expected to by SMT - I didnt ask to split sub levels!

17. T34

T34 Established commenter

Depends on the child and his/her KS1 results.

I'm looking at a child with a W in Writing but a 2c in both Reading and Maths.
    FFT (D) predicts a rise of 17.7 points (nearly 3 levels!)for this child in Writing.
    This is because the Maths and Reading results are taken into account in estimating the Writing, and also the child has no 'impediments' such as SEN etc.

Inform Tracker
    www.plvideo.com