1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many points progress each year is expected from your children?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rachste, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Would you say 3 or 4 per year is totally unrealistic or is it just me? Have been told that 3 is satisfactory and 4 is good!!!!! What are you working towards?

2. Would you say 3 or 4 per year is totally unrealistic or is it just me? Have been told that 3 is satisfactory and 4 is good!!!!! What are you working towards?

3. tigeresslady

tigeresslady New commenter

We work towards 4 points progress. But majority make 3 I would say

4. teacherofmany

teacherofmany New commenter

Three is average. In my Y6 class this year some of them have made an APS gain of 16 points (and a class average of 10)!?! It's not because I'm an amazing teacher but because their behaviour is no longer preventing them from learning and performing.

5. We talk about sub-levels not points and would expect children to move 2 sub-levels within a year eg. from a 3c to a 3a. Are sub-levels and points the same thing?

6. thats 5 years progress in one year????

7. we expect 1 and a half sub levels = 3 points (i think) so from 3c to a 3b/a.

8. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

We expect one whole level in Yrs 3 & 4 combined in our first schools and another whole level during Yrs 5 & 6.

The reality is somewhat different, with the split of progress generally not being even, but we are working on that!

That allows for less progress in Yrs 3 moving key stage and Yr 5 moving school.

9. One and a half is reASONABLE IF SCHOOL IS giving normal value added

10. Is 1 and a half the same as 3 points then??

11. FAO teacherofmany

So the class average is 10 - from low 3c to a high 4a in ONE year?? Have I got that right?

12. We are targeted for performance management on 50% 2 parts plus and must discuss any child who has not made 2 parts. Am I right that is 4 points?

13. How on earth do you work out a half level??

14. So each sublevel is 3 points? What are OFSTED looking for?

15. Each sublevel is 2 APS points. As a guide, 3c is 21 points, 3b is 23 and 3a is 25.

Hope that helps,
    Gentleben

16. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

The nationally expected progress in KS2 is 1 level for each two years - that is 6 points -so yes, 3 points per year is what is expected (or 1 and a half sub levels)
    These are the points score for various levels:
    2C 13
    2B 15
    2A 17
    3C 19
    3B 21
    3A 23
    4C 25
    4B 27
    4A 29
    5C 31

17. Oh, meant to mention that in my school we are targeted with between 50% and 90% (depending on year group) to make 4 APS / 2 sublevels progress each year. The head looks at averages and we only have additional support offered if the class average is below 2.5 APS progress.

Gentleben

18. thanks Gentleben I get that but not sure how anyone would work out a half of a part level (3 points)?

19. Akimbo is right by the way, I was slightly out there.

Last post on this thread for a while!

20. This is interesting. I am expected to move ALL children two sub-levels (presumably 4 points)eventhough the Special Needs Children,who are slower learners, tend only to move one sub-level. I always feel I have failed those children if don't get them 2 sub-levels progress.