1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many periods do HODs teach?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by MonalisaVito, Sep 2, 2017.

1. stc225coffey

stc225coffey New commenter

Forgot to say I also have a gcse g and t music tutor group that I teach every morning

2. stacy_1012

stacy_1012 New commenter

HoD of core, have a tutor grp and teach 39/50

3. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Seen some that get 5 free others get 6 depending on department size and school

4. whrd100

whrd100 New commenter

Here's an international schools perspective. I teach in Vietnam at an International school and I am Head of Studies (similar to HOD) for secondary school and business studies/English teacher. I teach 19 x 45 minute periods per week (no Form class). Most of my time is taken up with meetings, school improvement initiatives and endless admin duties. Even though 19 lessons a week isn't that much, I would prefer less!!!!! (-:

5. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Most management at my place are on 60-80% timetables depending on additional responsibilities and if you're a core subject, etc. Non-core HoDs are on about 80%, core HoDs about 70%, HoFs about 60%.

6. Artdoodle

Artdoodle New commenter

I have worked as a HOD in a previous school with no additional management time, that was very tough. I'm now teach 40 periods over a two week timetable which has been so much better, I do have a form group though and duties. My workload is still more than I can manage though as there are lots of meetings, very long hours!

7. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

I'm a HOD for Science, I teach 17/25 and a normal teacher does 22/25 per week. Sounds v generous compared with some of this!