1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many PE lessons a week in Reception?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cinderella1, Aug 28, 2012.

1. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

It is the same as in the rest of the primay School I think you will find it is 2hours at the moment although the gov is talkin (i dont think it has changed yet) about 5hrs. Yourl prob be given your use of the hall or playfield by your pe co-ordinator. You could ask this on the pe forum or primary and they will know for sure if still 2hrs.

2. My understanding for reception is that because the children should have access to outdoor space and physically challenging activities for the most of each day through their continuous provision, separate PE lessons aren't necessary - or, I presume, statutory. I haven't seen anything referring to PE 'lessons' in the new EYFS at all. Saying that, at my school each reception class has a hall slot for PE or dance each week to start getting them used to going to other parts of the school - ditto ICT and music, even though these are provided for all the time as well. But I am not an expert - just an NQT!

3. Yes my understanding of it would be that the children have lots of other physical opportunities in the environment. My previous school had one session per week but new has always had two, one of which is first thing on a Monday!! I really would rather get the phonics/literacy in when they're fresh back to school first thing on a Monday. My new head seems to trust my instincts about what needs changing etc so I feel quite confident that I can cut out one session. Just wanted to know what others do really and if there's anything documented to say I need two hours etc. Thanks for your replies x

4. cinderella1

It is 2hrs ive just checked .. 2hrs for primary School children and reception are part of the primary school, whatever curriculum they follow. You may find you have shorter access to the school hall as they are aware that you may be planning outdoor physical activities for your children. A bit like religious education must also be taught in reception classes,, yet this doesnt link to clearly to any of the non statutory dm's in the eyfs.

5. Can you please show me where to find this information. The physical activity in the outdoor area and also fine motor opportunities could surely count? Thanks for reply.

6. As far as I was aware, any physical activity (pe lessons, outdoor area activities, activate/brain gym etc) all add up to the 2 hour requirement. I will be doing 2 pe lessons for the autumn term because our outdoor area is not very well developed at the moment, but I will be cutting it to one lesson a week when I can.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

At the beginning getting changed for PE takes up most of the allocated time - this is not necessarily a bad thing, developing independence skills is equally important as the actual PE.

8. All physical development activities count towards total time necessary for P.E.. My head has just agreed that we no longer have to do formal P.E. lessons (and he's dead keen on sports) because of all the additional opportunities we have in Reception.
    I do not intend to give up the hall time that we have, as I think we can still offer P.D. activities on those days by children's choice, or on a rota basis, and we can use the larger space for more dynamic phonics/maths activities.
    I am trying to establish a better routine to allow daily phonics/maths/plus one, which up till now has been difficult with P.E. lessons twice a week. Talking to colleagues within my authority we are one of only a few who still had P.E. lessons.
    I do have some reservations and we will review regularly.

9. Hi,
    Similarly to the above post, we actually have three hall slots each week (each for one hour), which is one more than other classes in the school.
    We only actually use one for a structured 'PE' lesson (which is taught by another teacher as part of my PPA).
    I use the other two slots as an opportuity to do large scale activities which support other areas of learning. One is used as a songs and rhymes session, (nice in the big space as you can act out stories, add big movements etc). The other is generally used for large scale maths games (eg: running to put the right number of balls into buckets, big skittles etc.....) I don't always use the space / sometimes I only take some children.
    I imagine that not everyone would want to spend this amount of time in such a structured way. Its useful for us because our outside area is very small, so its a great chance for the children to run around in a big space!I also think its good for them to get lots and lots of practice at changing clothes / following instructions etc.
    Hope this is helpful.

10. Such helpful comments coffeeandcake, inkyP, sarav, miniand hyssop, thank you. Glad I share the same view with many other early years practitioners.

11. cinderella1

we use the sticky kids cd's they are fantastic.. so the kids are developing their listening skills alongside there physical skills. They come in a set of 3 .. bending and stretching, work out and dance. Our children love them, all the songs are really catchy.