1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many pages for a letter of Application for AHT role???

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pam771771, Jan 9, 2016.

1. pam771771

pam771771 New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently applying for Assistant Head roles. I remember many moons ago that I was always told letters of application should never be more than 2 sides of A4. However, I have so much more experience now, and really want to get everything in my letter that demonstrates I meet all of the Job Criteria and person specification. The trouble is my letter of application is now 3 A4 sides - is this acceptable for an Assistant Head application?

Thanks

2. cmbb

cmbb New commenter

Personally, I'd try to keep it to 2 sides, and focus on the key requirements, and ways you would contribute to that specific post. You can always aim to convey further information on the day of interview. If it's too long, it might seem as if you can't communicate concisely. Good luck with it!

3. splinters

splinters Established commenter

I used to have a 4 page CV and letters commonly ran on like yours but I got them down to 2 pages each. Someone once told me they print them off, often double sided so its easier for extra pages to get lost.
    What i am still unclear on is if the executive summary is part of the two pages as that can be difficult to get into two pages total.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there.

I would have a two-sided letter of application (or supporting statement) with a one- two-page E.S.

That way you should get all the fiddly bits clear in the E.S., showing how you meet all their requirements, instead of trying to include them all in a letter which then gets very bitty.

Your letter can then concentrate on the major points.

Have you found the Professional Advice Hub with all the articles on applications? Tag me @TheoGriff if not, and I'll give you some links.

Best wishes

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo @pam771771

The best thing is to have a two-page letter and a one (or for a SLT post possibly two) page E.S.

That way you can cover all the detail in their Person Specification or Job Description in the E.S., rather than trying to fit it all into the letter which could become very bitty. You can then concentrate on major points in the letter.

Have you found the Professional Advice Hub with its articles on applications? tage me @TheoGriff if not, and I'll provide the links.

Best wishes