1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you reckon you won't have the same MP tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 12, 2019.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Safe seat here, can't see it changing.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Here are the odds for the next Labour leader:

Starmer 3/1

Long-Bailey 3/1

Cooper 8/1

Rayner 10/1

Pidcock 12/1

McDonnell 16/1

Nandy 16/1

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Conservative win!!! :eek::eek::eek:

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Gobsmacked. :(

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

*Awaits the verbal abuse about people being thick and not knowing what they are voting for again... The very views from Labour Party members that leads to such results... I hope they finally learn from it but I won't be holding my breath.

lanokia, Jesmond12 and nomad like this.
  6. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

The Brexit Party drew in the Labour leave voters and gave it to the Tories.

Some clever pre-election positioning going on which I suspect will be evident many times tonight.

Sally006 likes this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Safe Tory seat here, sadly. The labour candidate is a great man and would be an excellent MP but I couldn't bring myself to vote for the current leader. Which left all the little parties so I went for one of them, since my vote won't going to count anyway.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I voted Independent. Total waste of time as I live in an ultra-safe Conservative constituency, but I tried.

Why safe? Not because the current Conservative candidate is good - he isn't. He spends his time keeping his head down, never puts it up above the parapet and is like one of those average kids in the classroom who you can never remember was in the lesson of not.

9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Turnout looks like it's about 3% down from 2017. A bit disappointing.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Except that you weren't voting for the current leader, you were voting for the labour candidate in your area. Except that you didn't.

Grandsire likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

But like a dead fish, the Labour Party is rotting from the head down.

Blame those who voted Corbyn in.

lanokia likes this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Your MP sounds exactly the same as mine. In reality, so far as my MP representing the interests of his constituents, he's a waste of a skin. The issue in this part of the country is that although public services are falling apart, it's close enough to London to be in the London commuter belt to be relatively affluent.

nomad likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[Wonders whether we are in the same constituency...]

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Yes and no. If labour got enough MPs then Corbyn would be prime minister and that would be enough to persuade me not to vote labour, even for a potentially good MP.

nomad likes this.
  15. Sally006

Sally006 Established commenter

My thoughts entirely. Total u-turn from Farage mid campaign was very suspicious. Contesting every seat, rejecting Johnson’s deal one minute to not standing in Tory marginals and going for Labour leave votes to usher the Tories in. Watch this space - what nasty little deal was Farage promised? Ambassador to USA? Chlorinated chicken on its way!

cissy3 likes this.
  16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It would appear that when you operate wholly within the bubble of your political and economic doctrine without listening to those who don't closely tow your party line, you are wholly surprised that your preaching to the converted has not moved you forward... it has been at best a naive approach that we have been debating on these boards for months.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Caroline Flint has already taken to Twitter.

She said: “We’re going to hear the Corbynistas blame it on Brexit and the Labour Uber Remainers blaming Corbyn. Both are to blame for what looks like a terrible night for Labour.

“Both have taken for granted Labour’s heartlands. Sorry we couldn’t offer you a Labour Party you could trust.”

That last sentence is just so telling!

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't think you live on the south coast, @nomad. This video was shot near to where I live. As you will see, the locals aren't the brightest people you can find. It's ironic that Bosham is a popular village to visit to see sailing boats and you'd think those that do, might have noticed that sometimes the tide is out and you can walk across to the other side of the harbour, and sometimes you'd have to swim. The tide comes rapidly. The chances are that those who get caught out by it, only visited Bosham to see the boats, since there's nothing else to see there, parked on the beach when the tide was out and since there were no boats to watch, went to the pub.

As quick as it takes to down a couple of pints, they return to the scenes in the video. About a 100 yards from where where the video was filmed is a car park that never gets flooded, but where they charge a quid to park, but the local mentaility is that it's outrageous to have to pay for parking, because it goes to the council and all they'll do with the money is to spend it on public services.

I'm never going to be able to influence the political attitudes of people as thick as this in a discussion with them, but maybe if I warned the world to never buy a car that was once registered in this area, the message might get through.

19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Same here and my vote was a protest vote against the incumbent, but like Grandsire the majority is too large to overturn
    I've always voted for an MP who would do the best for the constituency regardless of party, but doubt he'll put his head above the parapet much in the next parliament either. :(

nomad likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Another duplicate post :rolleyes:

nomad likes this.