1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you have to hand in plans a day ahead?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sammie123, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Are mentors right to ask for planning a day ahead of time to check through at this stage in the year?

2. Mines usually do.

3. I usually want to see all plans for the next day by the evening of the previous day. It's good practice to review the next lesson's plans, just to check them through. Then, I can feed back to the student I am supporting and they know their lessons are suitable.

4. Thanks for the help, I've had to be pretty firm with my student and basically say that if I don't have plans the day before they can't really teach the next day and wanted to check I wasn't out of line.

5. Are they a first year student? What does your school say?
    I'm not sure I wouldn't let them teach, as they have to make their own mistakes in order to learn from them, and if it's just one lesson it can be corrected by either you or them. I would make sure that I supported them in their planning and fed back to them at the end of each lesson so they know their own strengths and weaknesses.

6. Hi
    If you are a mentor then requiring plans the day before is perfectly acceptable. Some mentors will want them two or three days in advance. As a uni tutor I would support any mentor who made reasonable demands from students. After all you are responsible for the class and for the education that the children receive. Whether you should prevent the student from teaching depends on a number of factors. If the lesson is not a disaster, but you know it will fail then you can just now and then let the student fail so that they can learn from their mistakes. Ultimately as the qualified teacher and as a professional you have to make the decision.
    James

7. Well that all depends on what age group and subject you teach. In my subject the students only have the lesson once a week at KS3 so I always ask for the lesson plan two or three days in advance.

8. Good point. I was only thinking of primary lessons.

9. In my opinion, as long as I saw the plans for the next lesson the student was to teach, I wouldn't be bothered if it was 1 or 2 days in advance. Obviously, I know plans change as you teach lessons, and the plan I had already see may need to be altered, so I'd want to see it again to make sure it incorporated assessment properly. As long as you have an agreement that suits your student, you, the children in the class they are teaching and the university, I don't see there being a problem.

10. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I'm secondary and need to email all my lesson plans and resources at least 3 days in advance for checking. I normally get loads of feedback on changes I need to make too. It is only in the last fortnight that my teacher is leaving me to it a bit more but she still wants everything well in advance. My fellow trainees in other schools don't even get their stuff checked at all. It really does depend on the teacher. I am quite pleased my lesson docs have been thoroughly checked because I change schools in 2 weeks so will be well prepared.

11. That explains why she may want to see plans so early, but surely whatever she may (or may not) read changes anyway, depending on how the last lesson went? I can't see why she would want your plans so early.
    Have you mentioned any of these concersn to your University? I can see why she may not tell you an activity is unsuitable (in her opinion.) If it was me, I would want to let you discover and state it for yourself. I would, however, help you plan a suitable next activity.
    It maddens me that people still do this, especially as I have students and try my best to support them.

12. I only had to to do this at the start of my first professional placement. As I became more confident my mentor would just ask if I was ok and then I'd give her my plan right before the start of the lesson. I'd thought that this was normal, but maybe it isn't? I guess I'll see what happens at my second placement school.

13. At the university I mentor for it is expected that you come up with 2 or 3 SOWs that are your own so you have experience of long term planning. Otherwise you wouldn't meet all the standards.
    El