1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many of us...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Dec 12, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

... live in safe Tory seats, in lovely green leafy, pleasant and possibly wealthy environments, but campaign for Labour?

I was just reading another thread and it made me wonder.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I don't think its accurate to represent Tory seats with green leafyness and pleasant environment. Labour seats are just as likely or not to be green and pleasant too

colpee and coffeekid like this.
  3. needabreak

I don't know every seat but would be interested to know if there are Conservative seats are in areas of high deprivation, poor housing in overpopulated and polluted urban areas... I know Central London is mostly Labour.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Jamvic likes this.
  4. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Not terribly leafy green...well, maybe a bit. It is, sadly, a safe Tory seat. For now. Come the glorious day!

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Central London is beautiful! green and leafy all over. In fact, technically a forest,

6. needabreak

Parts of it may well be but that doesn't address my question with regards to Conservative seats in areas of high deprivation, poor housing in overpopulated and polluted urban areas...

Can anyone identify any? I'm still wondering.

7. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

How do you feel about deprived non-urban areas?

8. needabreak

I don't know, very much the same as urban areas I guess, butI was wondering about deprivation in safe Tory seats because of another thread where it appeared that many Labour supporters here live in Tory heartlands.

9. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I wonder if that is why back before Nick Clegg stuffed the Lib Dem vote a bit it was a popular party in the south west. Dorset and Somerset may look lovely on postcards, but look a bit more closely and you'll see a lot of problems with employment and housing.

Norsemaid and needabreak like this.
  10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I live in a safe Tory seat. Didn't have one canvasser from any party knock on my door. The only leaflet we got was from the Greens. Hardly any posters in windows or gardens and non whatsoever on lamposts. You wouldn't have known there was an election on around here.

11. needabreak

Crumbs. Though guess if it's safe, on balance they didn't think it was worth it?

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I live in a safe Tory seat. It's a rural constituency with two market towns, one large and relatively poor, the other smaller and richer. I don't really understand why it's so solidly tory.

13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Over (many) years, I've lived in different areas-I usually find that working class is Tory, non-working usually Labour, Scotland used to be Labour now SNP, middle-class teachers usually Labour, upper-class professionals usually Labour/Liberals, younger voters more often Green. So to sum up, I wouldn't say that 'greener' areas are more likely to be either...

14. needabreak

So the working class areas you know of vote Conservative?

15. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I live in a low wage, high unemployment area that always votes Tory.

16. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Occasional commenter

Not sure where Stockton and Darlington fall along the "leafy/deprived" continuum, but they are now Conservative, as is Bridgend....

needabreak likes this.
  17. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

You are right .Somerset is lovely but there are areas, and I worked in one of them , of poverty and depravation and drugs etc.
    Our safe Tory seat is even safer with someone who doesn't give a stuff except for her rich friends.
    But this was all about Brexit .5 more years of misery. Mind you it would have been five more years of different misery .
    I really detest all the main party politicians I'm afraid and not sure of any of the others.
    This generation of MPs are made up of self serving ,aloof, arrogant people.
    Only their cronies will benefit . They live in a bubble not the real world .

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

and, in the meantime, the locals will tug their forelocks...

19. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

What I was getting at, albeit somewhat obliquely, and as picked up by other posters, is that there are plenty of Conservative seats which will contain areas with significant amounts of deprivation but will be non-urban. Take Norfolk for example - with the exception of Norwich South it is solidly blue on the election map yet there are significant pockets of deprivation in places like Great Yarmouth and King's Lynn (e.g. looking at PP or FSM entitlement) which fall very much into the town rather than city category. There can also be quite a lot of 'hidden' poverty in seaside and agricultural areas where people don't necessarily qualify for benefits but really struggle to get by.

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I live in a low wage, seasonal employment coastal town, that has been Tory for ages and the incumbent has increased his majority by 5%.