1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how many observations/learning walks/ drop ins?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sjh65, Sep 16, 2019.

1. sjh65

sjh65 New commenter

How many observations/ learning walks/ drop ins/ book looks/ monitoring visits is it reasonable to have in a day? Our school is RI and I am currently having around 4 of these a day. They range from a 5 minutes to half an hour at a time. It's SLT, advisors and even HLTAs who have been tasked with checking books to see if they have been marked properly. I feel this is completely unreasonable and its making me so stressed.

2. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

It depends on what they are.

A HT walking around his/ her school in general visibility and drop in to say ‘hello’ is different to formal observations for PM.

Do you get feedback?

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

My goodness no wonder you are stresed who on Earth wouldn't be. Sounds excessive regardless of any degree formality and is actually quite disruptive. 4 times a day...dont these people have anything else to do?

Maybe they could lend a hand and muck in. You really need to speak to your union and I'd be looking elsewhere NO teacher should have to put up with this RI or not.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Is this just for a week in some kind of mock inspection or is it ongoing? I think just a week- a pain and over the top but this is what schools do, ongoing- find another job.

Curae likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Four lots of people dropping into your classes everyday sounds like my last school, where so many different managers were doing lesson observations, learning walks, drop-ins, etc., that not only was someone disrupting most lessons, it was not uncommon for these 'observations' to clash, with two or three people in the room at one time, or for one lot of observers to be walking in as the others were leaving. I was thinking of going a recycling dump to see if I could get a row of old cinema seats to put at the back on my laboratory, to accommodate this endless stream of observers. Ironically, the number of adults coming in to the classroom was matched by the number of students going the other way to attend various 'interventions', 1-2-1 sessions, etc..

HolyMahogany, agathamorse and Curae like this.
  6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Far far too many. Combined with the intention to find fault.

What you are describing is a 'witch' hunt.

Contact your union.

agathamorse and Curae like this.
  7. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

I am sorry to say I find it difficult to disagree. Which other profession would put up with such harassment.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Are all teachers having the same experience in your school? If so it's time for collective action from all union members.

9. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

every day in my school it seems there is a 'Learning Walk'. This week it is 'official 'Learning Walks', after two weeks of snooping,sorry,' open door''! It's called toxic and many school are like this.