1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many new teachers for your subject are there in the pipeline?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by MrMedia, Dec 9, 2015.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

According to latest statistics for today.

And please note, these have to be shared by all the schools in the whole country, private and public as well as overseas. And you should note that only 75% actually finish the courses....

In the interests of fairness I am conflating the figures for salaried SD, SCITT QTS only, SCITT PGCE, PGCE and regular SD.

Computing: 25 confirmed teachers for next year (£25 tax free bursary worth £45k before tax)
    Physics: 30 confirmed teachers for next year (£25 tax free bursary worth £45k before tax)
    Design and Technology: 45 confirmed teachers for next year (£12k bursary. Booo)
    Maths: 145 confirmed teachers for next year (£25 tax free bursary worth £45k before tax)

Mind you...
    Primary: 3080 confirmed teachers for next year and their bursary is rubbish!

Do they know something we don't?

Latest figures...

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I would be good if we had the stats for these subjects experienced costly leavers.

3. moonirules

moonirules New commenter

This is shocking! Even if you include those awaiting a place there are just 50 Computer Science teachers! This would make me feel in demand if I didn't know the reality.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Quite - as far as I can tell, most schools haven't got a Computing teacher, so the need would be nearer to 5000.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Just get the PE teachers to teach it (anything) - seen it!

6. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

I'm absolutely delighted that both Labour and the Tories have proven themselves to be utterly incompetent in the area of planning the numbers of teachers needed, predicting the number of school places needed, and the number of Computer Science teachers required, and then spinning it into some kind of triumph.

In 6 days, semi retirement hits and supply begins (mainly to avoid the ridiculous workload, that was making me ill), and although my daily rate of £260 a day for my first supply contract from mid January till Easter seems reasonable, I will certainly be asking for £300 a day after that. That's what I love about supply and demand in education, it's totally dysfunctional and very very expensive. I will definitely vote Tory next time.

7. moonirules

moonirules New commenter

It'll be interesting to see the number of vacancies on the run up to Easter this year. All the headlines warning of a teacher shortage should make it a busy read on the jobs pages.

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Well, prospective self-employed teachers. I do suggest a little research will show you just what you can expect.
    For example, according to the Teacher Supply Model for 2016-17 you need to have 3,000 odd maths teachers enter the system to keep the numbers static. (Which is short as we know)
    Current confirmed entrance rate for maths for next year is 170 teachers at this point. A way to go.

Other shortage subjects are computing, D&T, R.E. and so forth. However, it is Maths and English which are the main worries as schools cannot drop these two subjects. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the profession is replacing die hard long term teachers with younger teachers who are less inclined to stay in the profession (Cheap First etc.), particularly within the first five years of their career. This means you are storing up churn and that you will require even more graduates to keep your statistical rates at the level needed

9. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Yet, Mr 'There's never been a better time to be a teacher' Gibb says there's absolutely no problem!

10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Nick 'No Crisis' Gibbs wants a free market with lots of risk, people struggling, schools struggling and private supply companies having a hog roast on the fall out. He's a right wing capitalist. His ideological belief, like Gove and Morgan, is that the stress of the market coupled with profiteer's sniff for money will lead to a system where the government pays less and the market provides.

Crisis? Not in his book. A crisis for him would be calm, steady control with perfectly balanced numbers of teachers coming into the system.