1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many NC points progress is expected in year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anansie_uk, May 20, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm in my first year of teaching and am trying to work out if my class has made good progress against average expectations. 23 out of 30 were around p scale 5 when I got them with a pocket of 8 working at 1c. They are a year 1 class so what would be the expected points progress over the year? Is it six points a year which will take them one level up? Can't seem to find a clear answer either at school or online. Thanks for any help!

2. Hello,
    I'm in my first year of teaching and am trying to work out if my class has made good progress against average expectations. 23 out of 30 were around p scale 5 when I got them with a pocket of 8 working at 1c. They are a year 1 class so what would be the expected points progress over the year? Is it six points a year which will take them one level up? Can't seem to find a clear answer either at school or online. Thanks for any help!

3. They should have come up still on the EYFS profile, not on P scales. P scales shouldn't be used at this stage at the beginning of Year 1. In my school they transfer the ones still on the profile at Easter over to the P scales, but I know some schools do this after Christmas. Do you mean a 5 on the profile?
    There is another thread called KS1 targets which is all about the expected progress. If you look at it you will see that there is no one answer to your question! Our school now takes point 6 on the profile as equivalent to 1c, with end of year 1 expectations being around 1b or 1a. Generally schools have expected five sub levels of progress over the two years in KS1 and in my school that generally works out at two sub levels in Y1 and three in Year 2, but things seemed to have upped and some schools are expected three or more sub levels of progress in each KS1 class. Six points would equate to one level. It can be very confusing because the EYFS profile wasn't meant to equate to any particular NC level so schools/advisors etc have made their own decisions on what equates to what which has made it all very confusing.

4. Should be a whole level in Y1, a whole level in Y2, then 1/3 level year 3, 2/3 year 4... all a bit arbitrary. 2/3 should be minimum but aim for a whole level. Do you mean <u>pscale</u> 5 or EYFS point 5? EYFS 5 is just below average of point 6 so they should be 1C end of year 1.

5. At the moment they are converted to p scales and NC levels based on their final foundation stage results so they start in september away from EYFS points scales so yes I mean P scales not EYFS points. The head is talking about changing this from next year but that obviously does not help me now lol.
    So if I have taken a p5 and got them to 1C that is roughly six points progress so that would be considered good progress?

6. Then they would be expected to get 2C at end of year 2, so should be just below average... does this seem right for your children? - you know them best. It does seem odd to use pscales instead of re-assessing at beginning of Y1 onto NC levels - that's what we do currently. We only use pscales for SEN children. EYFS does not transfer easily to NC - the new EYFS will be the same by all acounts. Going on the course in 2 weeks!!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Profile points don't convert to P scales which are only for children with SEN.
    and 8 points on the profile doesn't convert to a 1C so I'm not sure what your school is doing
    http://www.primaryprogresstoolkit.co.uk/download/What%20is%20Standard%20Progress.pdf

8. At my school our children have to make 3 sub-levels of progress a year. Our end of year target is for all children to be a 1b. I know in other schools this is 1a but a high percentage of children come to year 1 on FSP 2/3, so we have a huge challenge on our hands

9. What should be done as I am obviously a new teacher and completely new to Year 1 so have just gone along with the the flow. The transition currently at our school is too harsh and not smooth at all which is something we highlighted this year. The head is going to county with the changes she wants made to make the transition more beneficial. One being carrying on with EYFS for the first term rather than cutting it off and starting on the curriculum for all and using P scales. Especially as you have said they do not convert.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

P scales must only be used when assessing
    children with special educational needs.

https://orderline.education.gov.uk/gempdf/1445950359/QCDA115417p_P-Scales_factsheet_v3.pdf
    If a child has special educational needs and their EYFS attainment against the EYFS profile has not been demonstrated at the end of this stage, the school may wish to continue with an early years curriculum to support the child's learning and development. In this case, the EYFS profile, rather than P scales, should be used for assessment as it may be suitable in Year 1 for a small number of children.
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/a00203453/about-the-p-scales
    http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/w/when%20should%20p%20scales%20be%20used.pdf