1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many lessons of English do you have for KS3 and KS4

Discussion in 'English' started by leadlearner, Feb 14, 2012.

1. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

How many hours of lessons do you have? Talking to a friend they have 4 x an hour for KS3 versus 3 x 50 mins lessons. How long do you have? How much more do you have at KS4 ? Any thoughts appreciated. Does more always help?? Does it make a difference - or do you make thes best of what you have?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

5 x 50 in KS3 going down to 4 x 50 from Sept
    4 x 50 in KS4
    5 x 50 in KS5
    A bigger issue is mixed ability classes of up to 36.

4. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Thanks guys - [​IMG] 36???? My goodness that's huge we've had max 31 but that is in a top set. Personally find mixed ability teaching v challenging - respect to you. I really appreciate your responses. Do you have a say in the structure of your classes eg: bands, ability, mixed, I have taught in all of these systems from complete mixed Level 2-7+ in a class to rigid sets. It is very different in different school. But 36 is huge.

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I find it impossible and despressing. I have a year 9 class which I see once a week (did I mention that 1 out of 18 KS3 classes has just one teacher? All the rest have 3!!!) and which have targets betweeb 6.8 and 3.5. It makes me want to weep.
    Don't be silly. HT wants one top set and then all mixed so we do it. Maths agreed with him and then set all through. I think we need to be more proactive in saying no. Mixed ability GCSE is not going to work and we have to make him see that.
    Yes. It takes me 3.5 hours to mark one set of books. I get 3 50 min periods of PPA a week.

6. 5 X 40 mins for KS3 going down to 4 (3 sets per year)
    5 X 40 mins for KS4 Mixed ability ( 2 sets only!)
    & X 40 mins KS5
    40 mins is never enough I'm sure when we are OFSTEDd there will only time for an intro and plenary!

7. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

We have

3 x50 mins for Y7 and Y8

4 x50 mins for Y9

6 x50 mins for Y10

5 x50 mins for Y11

Do you think this is a lot for KS4 - I do!

8. Changing to x5 50 mins for all ks3 and ks4 and all will be setted