1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many lesson observations are allowed in a term/year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marmite9, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Just wondered if anyone knows how many lesson observations are allowed during a school year? I'm currently down for 4 this term alone!

2. Just wondered if anyone knows how many lesson observations are allowed during a school year? I'm currently down for 4 this term alone!

3. neli

neli Occasional commenter

3 hours

Neli

4. 3 hrs is the limit, HT drop ins and governor observations do not count. If you think that the amount is too excessive you can contact your union which is recommended and have them to reach an agreement with the school as to how many should take place.

Not sure whether the 3hrs is for the year or for each term.

"Classroom observation should neither be a burden for the teacher concerned nor an opportunity to ?police? a teacher?s performance.

4.The Regulations place a maximum of three hours on classroom observation exceptwhere evidence emerges that gives rise to concern about a teacher?s performance.This at least makes clear that ordinary classroom observation under the Regulations isto observe performance which is generally satisfactory.

5.The three hour limit on classroom observation under the performancemanagement regulations is a maximum. Classroom observation should be no longerthan is appropriate for positive and constructive purposes. Classroom observation for the purposes of performance management, therefore,should be the subject ofagreement between the reviewer and the teacher concerned on its objectives and itsduration. It should be clearly treated as an opportunity for the teacher to demonstrate his or her teaching skills and receive constructive feedback."

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:BDEbvhli8EAJ:www.ntu...

5. I think the potential glitch is in the purpose of the observation. I believe the 3 hour limit is for PM purposes only. If the intention is that of sharing good practice (or similar) they can observe as much as they like.

I think!

6. neli

When our Head did INSET on this she said that the wording was very vague (as usual) and nobody was really sure. She said everyone was arguing about it at the meeting she went to. It def. doesn't include OFSTED though.

It's 3 hours a year by the way.

Neli

7. that isn't right, neli

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

as i understand it, it's three hours per year for the purposes of 'performance review' that doesn't preclude the ht or la advisers 'sitting in' for other purposes

9. That's what I was trying to say!

10. The 3 hours limit is for P Mgt purposes only. There can be more than 3 obs within the 3 hours. The guidance suggests that the obs should be multi purpose to cover other issues as well as PM objectives. If teacher causes concern the 3 hours may be exceeded. There are no rules preventing any other forms of observation such as SIP, peer to peer etc. Tho any sensible school would keep it all as manageable as possible. I think too many people seem to see obs as threatening, which may speak for their state of mind and the environment they find themselves in.

11. neli

Only passing on what I was told at an INSET delivered by the Head. It's a bit vague to just say 'that's not right Neli' Seven.

And yes when I set except OFSTED I meant to add and other obserevations of that type such as LEA.

Neli

12. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

We also have all the subject coordinators observing now so they 'know' what's going on in their subject in case OFSTED come. Our head observes each half term for about half an hour but that is not related to performance review.

13. neli

set=said

Neli

14. Thanks for all your replies!

As a staff we have 3 observations (performance management based) over the next 5 weeks, PE, Maths and Writing. Some of us also have an additional observation from the LA but that isn't included in the 3 hour rule. We also have a work scan and a planning scan booked in for this term AND assemblies to parents AND parents evenings! Is it me or does this seem an unfair load?

15. I'm not being observed for any other reasons other than just a run of the mill lesson observation. I'm not a cause for concern or worried about them, in fact I've been told my lesson for the LA should be of outstanding quality! No pressure on me then!

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It is 3 hours per year. That is not just for performance management, the only obs excluded are by OFSTED or the LA.

Monitoring observations should be within this limit. The regulations say that observations should be organised to be dual purpose to cover monitoring requirements.

17. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

I have to observe my GTP student teacher every week, sometimes twice a week. She loves it, as it is helping her become a great teacher, but the paperwork is exhausting for me!!!!!

18. Sounds like they are within the limits although so many in a term is harsh. Think you won't get anymore PM obs for the rest of the year though.

19. Yeah student teachers get observed very regularly, teacher observed mine about 3 times a week and then there was the Uni tutor too, then senior mentor and once or twice the head teacher.

20. Not counting on the observations getting less frequent, we've already had Music last term and others, although they all seem to be blurring into one now!
    I do think observations are important but we seem to be exceeding the 3 hour limit quite considerably especially as each observation is the full hour.

bombaysapphire - where did you get your information from?

Once again, thanks all for the responses!