1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many lesson do you get for your KS3 Science?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Darwin6, Mar 8, 2011.

1. I'm hoping to find out how many KS3 Science lessons other schools have per week, and length of those lessons. I may be fighting a losing battle, but my KS3 Science time allocation may be threatened and I need to start somewhere. Please help!

2. I'm hoping to find out how many KS3 Science lessons other schools have per week, and length of those lessons. I may be fighting a losing battle, but my KS3 Science time allocation may be threatened and I need to start somewhere. Please help!

3. we get 3 hours a week per year group. (3 x 1 hour lessons).

4. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

5 hours every two weeks

5. 3 x 50 minute lessons a week for years 7 and 8, 4 x 50 minutesfor year 9.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

3 hours per week (out of 25) for yr 7
    3 1/2 per week for years 8 and 9 (actually 7 hours per fortnight)

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

6 hours a fortnight for KS3 (in 25 hours of subject time)
    (may be subject to change - increase for year 9)
    P

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

6 hours out of 25 for KS3
    P

9. Thank you so much for your quick replies. Sadly this is not what I wanted to hear. But keep em coming! Can you also specify if you're at a MIddle School or and Upper? I'm assuming so far all the responses are Uppers as Year 9 is mentioned.
    Thanks again!

10. 3 hours per week

11. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

3 hours a week for yrs 7 and 8
    4 hours a week for yrs 9, 10 and 11

12. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

(We are a special school without 'options' so all our KS4 students have a broadly similar mix of subjects)

3x 42 mins for KS3
    4x 42 mins for KS4

13. We are an independent school. KS3 only in Y7 & Y8. Pupils get 3 hrs / week of science. One hour for each subject & up to 30 mins of homework allocated after each lesson (max of 1.5 hrs of h/w per week). They have about 30-35 weeks per year depending on visits, trips, exam weeks etc.

14. 7x50 minute lessons a fortnight in years 7, 8 and 9.
    10x50 minutes lessons a fortnight for KS4 plus 6 x50 minutes for our triple science option.

15. Y7 - 3
    Y8 - 3
    Y9 - 4
    :)

16. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

We get 2.5 hrs a week, down from 3 hours previously. (We are a middle deemed-secondary)

17. we get 4 x 50 mins lessons for year 7, 8 and 9.
    We are an all girls state secondary

18. Now, that's interesting. According to the link you've posted, they only recommend English and Maths get 3 hours too.
    Luckily, the decision to make any changes has been postponed for one year, so I don't have to worry yet. But this is all useful for the future.
    Thanks again.

19. alfredrussell

alfredrussell New commenter

We get either 2 hours 20 or 2 30 in years 7 & 8. (taught as science) Either 3 hr 30 or 3 hr 45 in Year 9 This is taught as 3 doubles of bio, chem and physics per week. (We have different length of classes at different time of the day hence the differnt time lengths).
    Everyone gets 2 double classes in yrs 7 & 8 and 3 double classes in yr 9. We are a state grammar in Northern Ireland. For Core & Additional at GCSE we get 9 classes per week and, for seperate sciences, 4 periods per week for each subject.

20. We have 4 x 50min lessons for all KS3 years