1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many KIT days before returning?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by aspera, Oct 23, 2018.

1. aspera

aspera New commenter

I'm currently on mat leave, and due to return for the beginning of the Spring term in January. I am still waiting to hear if my flexible working request has been accepted or not so I am going to email my Head this week. I am planning on putting my return date as the first day of the Christmas holidays, but obviously I need to go in to school (I'm Primary) before that to meet the class, do a handover, etc. I asked the Head about doing some KIT days this term but he never got back to me about doing them.

My question is, how many KIT days is an acceptable amount to do before a return to work? I know they are not compulsory but I need to go in, and I don't want to 'return to work' if possible, because I don't have childcare for a whole week/two weeks/whatever would be expected. Would 3 days KIT days be enough do you think, and would it be ok to do them in the last week of term or should I do them earlier? My husband is limited in the amount of time/when he can take some days off, so it's stressing me out a bit!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want to do 3 days in the last week of term, why not have your return to work date three days before the end of term?
    The last week before Christmas is a great time to get to know your new class.

But if you want them just as KIT days, then the person covering your maternity may not want you in for three days in the final week, causing even more disruption.
    Maybe try for the last three Mondays of term or some such?

agathamorse likes this.