1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many jobs did you apply for?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rugby_gal06, Apr 20, 2011.

1. How many teaching jobs did you apply for before you secured your first post?

2. inq

inq

Two.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

One.
    But that was in the olden days when there was a huge shortage of secondary maths teachers. I was interviewed in the penultimate week of the summer term, no lesson observation or tasks or any of that nonsense. Just an interview.

6 candidates, 2 jobs. I got one of them.

4. None, but I was a GTP student at my school (having been employed there as a TA) and was fortunate to be appointed to a permanent position as my GTP year finished.
    However, the competition is very fierce now. A friend of mine went for a job recently and the headteacher was showing potential candidates around the school <u> in groups of 20</u> ! There were around 140 applicants being shown round !

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Dozens! However that was in the North West where 3 training colleges in 50 miles were churning out hundreds of NQT's each year! One post I applied for had 460 applicants! I eventually decided to move 250 miles acros country and got the first job I applied for!

6. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

50+ I did supply for three years before getting my first post. Am coming to the end of my fifth year teaching and am just about to get my first permanent contract. It was REALLY frustrating at the time but my first job was so worth waiting for and to be honest I couldn't have done it without the experience I gained on supply (though that was because I went into special needs which I never intended to do but got hooked through my supply experiences).

7. Easily around 60+ .. it was very tiresome! The majority didn't even reply, even when I got through to interview level they didn't reply and let me know I hadn't got it!

I secured my NQT post through a pool, it's only a maternity though for 1 year so I'm currently in the process of applying for jobs AGAIN which is really disheartening, already on about 15-20.

8. Got the first job I applied for but that was 20+ years ago. It was in the summer holiday and when
    I turned up the Head was up a ladder painting a window sill! I was dressed to impress but he certainly wasn't.

9. Applied for about 20 (I still have a notebook where I put the advert clippings from the various county job lists that were mailed to you on request and from the papers, along with notes as to whether I had visited the school and whether I then applied for them or not - and why.) There was no requirement to teach a lesson then as part of the interview process. Just an application, short listing and interview.
    I was shortlisted for 4.
    My first interview was nerve wracking and I didn't get the job. The second was the interview from hell, where I had to play piano pieces in front of the interview panel that were unseen pieces. Then I had an orchestral score dumped in my lap and I was asked questions about it. Nerves got the better of me on that one too.
    I got the job at my school on my third interview and gave my apologies to the 4th school. I've been there ever since (14 years plus)

10. About 25. I got 3 interviews and was offered a permanent position 3 days before the end of the summer term. It was really tough and I felt so lucky when I finally got a job.

11. Hi, I am in my third year of teaching. I applied for 3 schools got 2 interviews and got a job on the 2nd interview. I feel really lucky as I've got friends from uni that are still struggling to get a permanent position.

So good luck to everyone applying for jobs at the moment ?