1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kenbriooo, Jan 13, 2011.

1. kenbriooo

kenbriooo New commenter

I work at a middle school where I am head of a a foundation subject. We are lucky, as we all get 4 hours a week non contact with 2 being for PPA, as a HoD I get an extra hour along with all HoDs making 2 PPA and 3 non contacts.
    Since Sepetmber I have been used to cover for 12 lessons/hours - 3 since we have been back after January which I think will rise to 4 tomorrow, I have done the highest total out of all staff. Now I appreciate I am very lucky and get more free time than many other teachers and I probably should not be moaning ... but...
    My non contacts are mainly (4 out of 5) when year 6 English is taking place and it is school policy not to remove cover TAs out of those lessons, rather it uses teachers to cover. This means that collegues who have non contacts in the afternoon have been used maybe once or twice since September.
    Now I have no problem covering as I appreciate that there have and will be times that I need covering due to time off but my frustration is growing. Do I have a right to be frustrated or should i just shut up and be glad I have more than most (just not compared to the rest of the teachers where I work).

Any help would be much appreciated

2. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

No, you shouldn't just shut up!
    The Rarely Cover regulations essentially say that you shouldn't be asked to cover in all but the most unpredictable circumstances e.g. a teacher goes home ill at lunchtime. This doesn't sound at all unpredictable - in fact, it's completely planned, so a supply teacher or other cover arrangement should be used. It is also unfair if any emergency cover is not shared equally amongst all teaching staff, irrespective of post or level of contact time.
    Mark