1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

how many interviews before you got a job for your NQT induction year?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lavieestbelle, Apr 1, 2011.

1. This is brilliant! You must have a very good letter so don't worry you will get there. I lost count but I think it was 7th or 8th interview but 65 applications!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Job hunting for an induction post is particularly hard this year.
    Normally 80% of NQTs, by Christmas, are in induction.
    But of last year's NQTs - only 46% had jobs by January, and the 2009 cohort still had 34% out of a job.
    And now the 2011 cohort are Job Seeking too - at a time when the number of jobs advertised has fallen between a quarter and a third from last year.
    Masses more applicants, masses fewer jobs. The competition is really fierce.
    I feel that you have been let down quite a bit by your University.
    In my experience, the PGCE and BEd courses do NOT do a good job in helping their students to apply for jobs, although there are some honourable exceptions, where Course Leaders do their best to support you through the application process.
    Today I have been doing One-to-One interviews at TES headquarters, helping people with their executive summaries, applications and interview technique. I see some very good teachers who have masses to offer a school, but don't have the foggiest idea about "setting out their stall" and showing the schools what a great contribution they could make.
    You will have read about Belle de Jour, and how she got a job.
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    She has posted quite a few times saying that in the seminar she learnt things that she hadn't the foggiest idea about. If an Old Hand like Belle needed our help in the Job seminars, you can imagine how hard it is for NQTs!
    I really do think that your Uni could have done a better job for you.
    That's my rant over!
    Go to the JobSeekers Forum, open the Welcome thread and read the advice clickables in there. They have helped loads of people to get a job. Or come to one of our seminars to get a clear explanation of what you need to do. But don't just rely on the advice given by your Uni - it is not enough.
    Good luck to you all.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me is tomorrow Saturday 2 April.

This is the last Job seminar that I shall do for some time, so to get a head start, come along! The enrolment is open until midnight tonight.

http://tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com/
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. I've only had one interview so far and I actually left part way as I really didn't like the school. It doesn't help when people on my course are all getting jobs! I'm worried I'm being too selective about where I apply but I really want to stay close to home. I'm looking at an hours drive radius from where I live.

4. Similar to my experience too, but a word of advice - make sure you will be happy in the school, meet the department, kids, staff in staffroom, get a real feel of the school before accepting your first post. I took the first one offered to me this time last year and it was a big mistake (but they did start me in July so get paid over summer). Unfortunately I also had 4 interview offers on the table at that time.