1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many infant children should I be teaching?? Please help!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by stress_head, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Hoping for a bit of advice, this situation is slowly driving me mad! I work in KS1 - we have a staright Rec, R/1, 1/2 and staright 2 class. SLT have decided it would be best for the children if all the year 2 children are taught together, meaning 35 year 2 children in my class.
    I have been given an extra TA to take a group of these year 2 children just for numeracy and literacy, SLT say I will therefore not actually have any more children in my class. But they are still expecting me to plan for all the children, mark and level all the work they do. Is this right?
    I know there are certain subjects in which more than 30 in an infant class is ok, but can anyone advise me on which subjects?
    To make matters worse, what was the year 1/2, now have just 18 year 1 children to teach. As the teacher of this class will have nothing to do with teaching the year 2 children I know I will be expected to write 35 reports at the end of the year also.
    Please advise?? I feel I am been given a lot more work to do with little extra support. Sorry for the moan in advance.

2. Thank you very much for this information. After having a quick read it seems like I am been asked to do more than I should be.
    Only problem is now how to deal with it. I have tried explaining to head that if I was not pregnant and feeling so ill I would be fine to go ahead with this. But know I can't cope with this added workload they way I am feeling.
    Will be brave and have another chat with her on Monday. It's good to know where I legally stand now. Thanks so much. I can now relax and enjoy the rest of my weekend without feeling too stressed out. Just hope it gets sorted!