1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours work do you do over half term?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Corvuscorax, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I'd just like a rough idea of what is considered normal and acceptable. Thank you

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

At the moment none - I've got the flu

3. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

A good school and a well organized teacher will not do any work over the half term! You need a holiday to recharge. If you have any work there is something wrong..

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When I was working, unless I was teaching a totally new A level (which required more reading, planning etc), I might do 2 or 3 mornings over the 1/2 term.

5. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

There is the risk that you turn your holidays into a Mammoth catch up session. Giving hours and hours of your precious time to all the marking and assessment, or planning and prep that you were either too tired or too busy to complete in term time.
    What would you normally be doing over a term time weekend for school work to prepare for Monday. Some marking and planning, yes probably. By the end of the first Sunday of the holiday you should have done all that you need to be ready for the first Monday back.
    You then have 7 days to rest and recover and maybe even do some of those annoying DIY jobs you have been putting off.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

That is just complete rubbish. I hate it when people blame teachers for being in unreasonable situation, when it is something that is done to them. If you are in a position where you don't have to, that is plain good luck, nothing what so ever to do with your organisational abilities, and the fact that you can't see that says you personally are lacking in insight and comprehension.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually half term is a useful time for me to do school stuff,specifically some decent planning and primping of resources based on what the classes actually need imminently, because I often don't do much during the working week due to domestic and family commitments. These come first over work, every time. The fact of juggling all of this with great success means I am actually supremely organised.
    So I work during half term, I have an excellent recharge, and I do not feel anything is wrong at all. I also know others do things completely differently, but neither do they feel anything is wrong.

Why should everybody be just like you?

( tbh your remark is a bit presumptuous both in content and delivery, it reads like one of those cheesy affirmation post cards plastered all over the wall in the behaviour unit, captioning a baby chimp in glasses or an erudite seal pup)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

The same as a normal weekend.

9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm with the OP here - to claim that if you are working over half term you're disorganised is unfair.

Half term is merely a pause in business - if you're in Secondary, mock exams for at least two year groups loom large, plus there's also the business of end of module assessments for younger students. No-one should be made to feel that they're **** at their job, or letting the side down by working for some of the holiday. Instead the vitriol should be directed at the management who think its acceptable. Of course, I frequently notice that those who come on here informing us all that we're bad people and pawns of management or sheep and have clearly been brainwashed into working on half term are usually retired or no longer in teaching. Easy to stand there and bossily lecture if you no longer have to worry about your job , right?

10. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I work F/T as a class teacher in UKS2 and have done no work at all this half term. I never work at weekends and never bring home books ever.

I did find/adapt/add to my class assembly script during the summer hols but that was it.

I’ve been doing this job for a very long time and over the years have organised the best way to work that suits me. The job does get more intense every year but I am lucky that I work in a good school and have learnt how to prioritise.

I do however use every single moment I am in the school building to do my work. I get in early and leave by 5 at the latest each day. I prefer to work solidly during the hours of 7am and 4.30/5 pm rather than take work home. It works for me but it’s only years of experience that has got me to this point.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Some really good points already made, and as suggested by sbkrobson, much depends on your personality.

I liked to spend perhaps a day at most looking at med term planning and ensuring I've got some ideas in place and identified where I needed new resources.
    But especially in a term of this length, teachers do need some 'down-time' to recover and recharge their batteries.

agathamorse, HolyMahogany and Jamvic like this.
  12. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

maybe half a day

annascience2012 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I do not do as much work over holidays as I used to but I am really enjoying my teaching at the moment.

We have mock exams in two weeks time - I'll certainly be working hard then.

Piranha and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Artdoodle

Artdoodle New commenter

I usually do a day or two, this half term I tried to cut it down to two mornings. I usually have to have a mammoth clear out of the store cupboard and classroom. Being a practical subject I can only really do this when I have a block of time and no students in. I then do my first week back planning, organisation and any admin jobs, it is really essential for my well-being that I get sorted and it is the only time I have the head-space without demands of staff, students and SLT constantly interrupting lol!

But it is everyone's individual choice and no one should be judging others for going in or not, it comes down to individual preference. There is no right or wrong!

15. hisir

hisir New commenter

I'm going in for two days. Estyn are popping in for a visit in November.....

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The one think i have stopped doing is going in the first day of the holiday to have a massive tidy up and bring stuff back to mark.

I make sure I do all of this BEFORE we break up now.

17. katiejane1

katiejane1 New commenter

I have a child protection for one of the children in my setting meeting that I will need to attend on the Tuesday, so I intend to spend some of the day while I’m in the building to get tidied up and set up for the next half-term.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

My room is being refurbished, so I'll go in at the very end to put things how I want them. But that's because I'm a bit of a control freak, not because other people expect me to. Otherwise nothing at all.

I think @gilderbeast2000 is getting a bit of an unfairly hard time. They did say 'A good school and a well organised teacher'.

annascience2012 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Zero!

I never work in the holidays. I sometimes mark some coursework over Christmas but only if I'm desperate.

gilderbeast2000 and madcatlady like this.
  20. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Actually it depends on the considerer, not the consideree. Your line manager, pupils, their parents and SLT all have expectations of you and maybe only by working non-stop can you fulfil those.

Personally I'd say stuff them but I'm long-term supply and a few glasses into the evening.