1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours to complete induction as an NQT?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by lauramelisas, Apr 26, 2018.

1. lauramelisas

lauramelisas New commenter

Hi. I just got a QTS and I'd like to know if there is a number of hours that I need to do as NVQ in my school to complete my induction. I've been working in this school as a Teacher/ cover supervisor / TA since before I obtained my QTS, I've been told next academic year I will be given more lessons to teach but I will also be redeploy teaching EAL, being on cover and giving support as a TA (I'm full time).
    Thank you

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

it is not a case of just clocking up hours but being on an NQT teaching contract and induction programme. The statutory guidance on the DfE website has all the requirements -the key ones are that you teach a regular class( PPA and cover is not suitable for induction) the same as other main scale teachers with a 20% timetable reduction. You have regular meetings with your mentor and support and advice is provided through lesson observations and reviews of your teaching. You are formally registered with an Appropriate Body usually the LA or teaching school so your records are updated via the Teacher Regulation agency.
    Induction lasts for an academic year 3 standard terms.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

It sounds like the school are trying to save as much money as possible by fitting you into as many roles as they can. I am surprised they haven't asked you to mop floors as well. As Welsh Wizard points out the school need to manage your NQT appropriately: they appear to be taking the proverbial.