1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how many hours is 0.53 for an NQT?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lakenoha, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi James,
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    I'm an NQT working 3 days a week, teaching 25 hours a fortnight with 4 paid protected hours. Is this correct?
    Thanks a lot!

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Are you working 3 full days per week? If so, you should be on a 0.6 contract.
    0.53 equates to 670.45 Directed Hours per school year. Directed Hours are teaching time + NQT time + any other allocated free periods + meetings + parents' evenings + INSET.
    You are only paid to undertake your contract proportion of meetings/parents evenings and INSETS (and only where they fall on your work days) and should be paid extra if the Head wishes you to attend all of them and you agree to attend.
    You need to be more specific about your protected hours. Do you get 4 per week or 4 per fortnight? Are all those free periods NQT /PPA time or are some extra frees (usually in Secondary)?
    Assuming that 12.5 weekly equivalent hours are teaching time and 1.45 hours is 10% NQT time, your should be comparing your almost 14 hours against the average contact time of a full-timer at your school. A 25 hour week of lesson times means that a full-timer couldn't be teaching for more than 22.5 hours per week after PPA time is deducted.
    Your 14 hours (assuming 2 protected free periods, not 4 per week) is thus 62% (0.62) of a full-timer's week, not 0.53!
    Check it out with your Union before challenging it.

3. Thank you for your answer.
    I work three full days and once a fortnight, on a friday, I have one period off (not paid)
    About my protected hours, to be honest, I have no clue if they are extra frees, ppa, NQTs... It is just 2 protected hours a week.
    I have just realized: don´t have a tutor group either, so maybe that´s why I´m on 0.53? that should be half an hour more a day. I take the register in the afternoon once a week. I haven't been paid for this and inset I did last month on a day I'm off.
    Hope this is clear enough... thanks a lot!