1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how many hours in a week would you tutor a student that is not in school?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by cookie3, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Hi All,
    I have been private tutoring for a year but my students have all been in school or 6th form college and I have been giving them extra support. I am now taking on a pupil who is not in school at the moment so I am his sole science teacher. Are any of you tutoring Home Schooled pupils and if so how many hours a week would you tutor them for science?
    Thanks

2. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

If he's not in school, the LEA set the rules on how much tutoring he should receive at home. I'm in primary and it is three hours if the child does not attend school for the day.
    In secondary it might be more for a core subject like science. Check with his parents who will need to confirm with their local LEA.

3. Thanks for your input Gilly33. The student is being H.ed at the moment as she has been taken out of one school and the parents are waiting until they can get her into the school her they want her to go to, which unfortunately it is currently full and she is on the waiting list. I have been doing some research and thought that the LEA would not be interested. We are starting with one and a half hours and see how we go. Will be aiming at GCSE triple over 2 years, but hopefully this will only be a short term situation.

4. erm

erm

Completely depends on the child. I recently tutored a home ed child through maths GCSE. We started in September 2010 with just 1 hour a week to see how it went, with the intention of sitting in May 2012. I wasn't hopeful and was sure we'd have to up it. However the girl was the most self-motivated pupil I've ever had the pleasure of working with, despite maths being one of her least favourite subjects initially. We stuck with 1 hour a week and I even ended up entering her early in the extra March sitting. She was as prepared as she could have been. She got a well deserved A.

5. Thank you all for your replies. Mum still wants to do one and a half hours a week. I think this is the barest miminum for science as he will be doing the double award so lots to cover but not as much as triple. I think that if we are struggling mum would be happy to up the hours, but I am getting very busy and don't want to get to a stage where it is hard to fit more time in for him. Will see how it goes and let you know.

6. Hi

I am urgently looking for a good English GCSE tutor for a home schooled child based in SW London. Where are you located? Would you be interested in the role or know of anyone? Many Thanks

7. Hi, I used BlackStone Tutors to tutor my sons in English GCSEs - www.blackstonetutors.co.uk and thought they were fantastic! Very professional, resulted in my son getting the grades they wanted. Would highly recommend them. Hope this helps, thanks.