1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours do teachers work per week?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Sillow, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm in my second year of teaching and I get to school about 7:45am, work through half my lunch break and leave about 6pm (including 3 afterschool clubs a week and meetings). At home I will occasionally have marking to do, which is about 3 hours, and will sometimes work at weekends for 2-3 hours doing planning or resources if necessary.
    Do bear in mind, though, that different schools can demand different amounts of "extra" work. For example, my school is not doing APP and we aren't required to hand in minutely detailed plans in advance. Also, during training and NQT the workload is considerably more, as you collect evidence towards the standards, plan every lesson in detail (although not all NQTs are required to do this by their school) and evaluate all you do. I have known students/NQTs/teachers in other schools who did 7am-6pm in school, followed by another 4 hours at home, due to different demands in paperwork/marking expectations/APP etc. etc..
    Be prepared for long hours!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

In my NQT (last year) I worked from 8am (arrival into school) until 1am, with about 15 min for lunch and 1 hour for tea. This was with the exception of Friday evening when I left work at half 3 and did no work all evening in order to spend some quality time with my OH. Sometimes I had Saturdays off but I rarely had a Sunday off (unless I'd switched them so I could have a night out).
    It is not the career to choose if you are not looking for a full time vocation, however saying that the workload varies wildly dependant on your school and even (especially?) on your individual line manager. I found mine incredibly difficult.
    Think carefully before you go into it, you can't walk into a job as everyone seems to believe you can. On a more positive note it just takes one student to say/do something nice or show you how far they've come and it will make your term. 95% of my students were wonderful and I regretted having to leave.

3. I'm an NQT and have worked hard to find a balance that works well for me. I get to school about half 7, do bits of photocopying etc for the day, teach a normal day and then leave about 5. I have one day a week where I stay until half 6 and do any extra paper work etc that needs doing. I tend to work through lunch, but this works well for me.

I'm now at the point where I don't take marking home and spend only a few hours on a Sunday doing work.
    I run two after school clubs a week.

Bare in mind as an NQT you will have an additional 10% of non contact time.

It is a hard job, the biggest shock I had was the amount of paper work and assessment that needs to be done, final placement doesn't prepare you for that.

Is is doable, be organised, be focused and have a to do list!

4. There were paragraphs in there. Apologies.

5. Thanks for that info Adz88- that seems like sensible and realistic working hours. I don't understand the people saying they work from the crack of dawn until midnight. Seems a bit far fetched, surely time management skills are part of the job. I haven't met any teachers on my placement or last year during my few months as a TA who spent every single night planning lessons etc. until midnight???

6. Argh, I'm finding it a bit scary how many hours some people can put in - I can honestly say it does get better. In my PGCE I did work evenings, occasionally with quite a late night (usually before an observation or portfolio check) and I did work weekends. In my NQT year (last year) I brought work home a few times a week, and generally did some planning on Sundays.
    This year I've been far better with my time and organising my marking load. I generally get to work around 8ish, leave around 4:30 and get home by 5. I've rarely brought work home (I do the same as Eva - 10ish books a day helps me keep on top of the marking load!) and I haven't worked weekends this year. Aside from coursework, mock exams and an imminent OFSTED I firmly intend to keep it that way.
    I also have one day a week where I leave at 3:30 on the dot and get home by 4. I think that's the best change I've made this year - keeps me sane, knowing I have an evening where I finish early and can just relax!
    Some of the hours people are mentioning just seem excessive to me - please don't get me wrong, I love my job and am known within my department for working really hard and being ridiculously organised, but I know when to leave my work at work!

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

But if you don't have a choice... My line manager made my life miserable. 4 page lesson plans for every lesson, all SoW from scratch, 270 pieces of work marked a week (with individual comments on each piece) and I was still pushed out the door purely because I wasn't good enough for (or even liked by) that one person.
    If it hadn't been my NQT I would have stood my ground a bit more when my life started to spiral out of control and down the drain... On the plus side I'm far happier now and would never let things get that bad again. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

8. Oops!
    Oh well, congrats anyway! My HOD is pushing me for it, but I'm too scared of the work!
    Sam_Bow

9. The last survey I saw suggected that the average is between 60 and 70 hours per week during term time. That's why we need the long holidays - to recover!
    [​IMG]
    OscartheCat