1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours do teachers work, and should teachers work?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Corvuscorax, Jan 15, 2020.

?

How many hours do you work in an average term time week, full time

1. below 40

15 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. 40-50

52 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. 50-60

91 vote(s)
    40.6%
  4. 60-70

51 vote(s)
    22.8%
  5. 70-80

15 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. 80-90

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. 90-100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. above 100

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GreenTrees123

GreenTrees123 New commenter

Clearly, colour-coded marking alone will not make a school outstanding. However, for me, it’s symbolic of a ‘go further’ attitude that we expect from both staff and students. We want staff who are prepared to put in extra effort and work ethic, just as we want from students.

That culture is not going to be suitable for staff who like to race for the exit at 3.15pm, so it’s important that there are a range of different schools (with concomitant differences in quality) for teachers to choose from.

2. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

"Symbolic"... quite.
    Just like the wearing of a poppy symbolises my support for the British Legion. It's expected of me so I may as well wear one, it's only costing me a few coins. I don't need to think about the actual impact it has on the lives of ex-service people, even though the coins I donated may not even cover the cost of the poppy. It doesn't matter if I'm actually having an impact does it? Far more important that I symbolise my support instead.

(Sorry for feeding it)

3. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

'Go further' attitude. I'd be telling you where to go.

Colour-coded marking and other associated detritus are indicative of idiotic SLTs who have no concept of a life-work balance. You don't need this or your perceived idea of a work ethic to teach well and garner great results. You need to go away and figure out what teaching is.

Do these numpties who want us all to put in the extra effort not have a life? Or enjoy hobbies and family? It's a very old cliche but quite true: Nobody looks back on their life and wishes they'd spent more time at work.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

To my mind, it is symbolic of a control freak style of management which insists that things are done a particular way when there is no tangible benefit from it. Good management looks at the results of a way somebody does there job and accepts their way if the results are satisfactory. Bad management won't accept that there is any other way of doing it than that of the manager.

5. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I am enjoying the Green Trees spoof posts. More please.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Perhaps his alter ego/Deputy @CalF123 will put in another appearance to tell us how much the teachers at his school enjoy cleaning the school and cooking the lunchtime meals.....:D

7. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I once worked in a school where there appeared to be a small club of teachers who wanted to be first to arrive in the morning and last to leave in the evening.
    One of them would sit outside the HT's office doing marking, planning etc.
    Pathetic, seemed to have no life.
    I kid you not.
    There do appear to be some HT's that expect far too much.

8. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

I guess we tend to work however many hours it takes. I like to think it's very much give and take so even though parents' evenings, reports, pupil progress, marking etc are all time-consuming, there is some buy back at the end of the year. I also love being able to leave early on a Friday now (particularly when I used to stay until 6 or 7 in my previous school).

At my previous school, my max was 80 hours one week. I don't know how teachers with families cope. Hats off to you guys!

agathamorse likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would say I put in extra effort and have an excellent work ethic. However I've never colour coded marking in my life and the chance of me being able to find the right colour pens at the right time is almost zero.
    I do things like:
    Early morning childcare duty
    Extra duty at lunchtime, so the overworked deputy could at least eat his main course sitting at a table in the dining hall
    Use my PPA time to sort out phonics resources for a new member of staff
    Spend some of my weekend choosing a creating an order for some new classroom storage
    Friday evening late duty so those with families can get off early and see their children

All this helps my colleagues and makes a difference in the workplace. Colour coded marking does nothing for anyone except make books look pretty!
    Oh I don't know. I have worked with a headteacher who was usually first out of the door in the evenings in order to collect his children from nursery and be a father. He then worked late in the evening after they were in bed. One of the best I've known.
    I've worked with a teacher who left very promptly in order to train for triathlons while it was still reasonably light and doing work later in the evenings. (And had a week off to compete at the Olympics...so even less committed I suppose.)
    Both were excellent teachers with superb work ethics.

10. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

Fair enough. My bad for not paying closer attention. I have changed my vote to reflect my time in the UK recently.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  11. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

I'm sorry, but I'm calling absolute nonsense again. You're talking to someone who was involved in organising the extra-curricular programme (for no financial gain) not only for the school alone but for school clusters and districts (in sport). I consider this 'extra effort'. However, I refused to waste my time on all the petty and useless paper chasing that you appear to champion.

If you think that makes you a better teacher, then please, crack on. However, I'd personally avoid appointing candidates with that viewpoint.

12. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

....you mean staff unable to protect themselves from abuse and exploitation.

If you are real, I hope you get sent to prison

lottee1000, agathamorse and Bentley89 like this.
  13. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

The posts from GreenTrees123 are just hilarious.

14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

The primary issue with such policies, is not workload they generate, it’s that they are so entirely pointless and have no genuine impact on pupil outcomes.

Those poor teachers who still work in the Stone Age schools that still insist on these kinds of practices probably wouldn’t mind putting the hours in, if it wasn’t for the fact that they all know it is such a massive and futile waste of time.

15. Corvuscorax

Thats the other issue really, isn't it. How much of your time is meaningful educationally

agathamorse likes this.
  16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

In my case, the vast majority. But then I don’t work in one of these clueless places.

17. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

As a HT, I am usually in school for around 40-45 hours per week, and usually do some work from home- about 2-3 hours per night and then usually have my weekends free to do what I want. I promote a work life balance in my school and I always mention this at Inset days and briefings to ensure that colleagues are not consuming all of their time with work!

18. Corvuscorax

What is your response to staff who haven't done what they have been told to do, and explain that the reason is they didn't have time?

19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Contrary to the impression some have, many HTs don’t really go about giving teachers tasks to complete and telling telling them what to do. Generally speaking, our teachers are left to get on with their jobs.

20. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

That's a bit harsh. Perhaps he/she didn't have a life. Do you know their circumstances?
    One teacher at my school was always the first at school and the last to leave. She didn't have any family and didn't seem to have many friends locally. School was her life- both her social life and work life.