1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours are we expected to work.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by wigy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. wigy

wigy New commenter

The esteemed leaders are for ever adding new tasks for us to do. Most of these need to be done outside the classroom. I know about directed time but are there any directions in relation to reasonable working in addition to directed time?

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No. Contracts specify that teachers will allocate the time required to fulfil their duties. Some teachers manage that more quickly and/ or efficiently than others.
    You should be mindful of a work/life balance and recognise that burning the midnight oil on a regular basis is not healthy and will ultimately negatively affect your performance when delivering minutely planned lessons.
    One of my children's Primary school teachers used to arrive at work very early and would stay until 5.30/6 pm and then called time on work, never taking work home.
    My sister-in-law has been a teacher for nearly 40 years and always leaves school at the earliest point (10 minutes after the pupils), has a few hours unwinding at home and cooking dinner and then settles down to a 2 or 3 hours of school work. Originally, that schedule fitted in with having young children and it's now just part of her routine.

3. jubilee is correct, however it is not usually the contract that specifies these matters, rather it is School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document. Unless you are employed by an Academy school where it would have to be specified in the contract if they don't adhere to STPCD.

4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Academies are only different if you have signed a new contract. If you are an existing member of staff that transfers over using TUPE then you pay and conditions do not change.

5. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

relevant bits of STPCD
    62.4 A teacher employed full-time must be available to perform such duties at such times and such places as may be specified by the head teacher (or, where the teacher is not assigned to any one school, by the employer or the head teacher of any school in which the teacher may for the time being be required to work as such) for 1258.5 hours, those hours to be allocated reasonably throughout those days in the school year on which the teacher is required to be available for work.

62.5 Sub-paragraph 4 applies to a teacher employed part-time, except that the number of hours the teacher must be available for work must be that proportion of 1258.5 hours which corresponds to the proportion of total remuneration the teacher is entitled to be paid pursuant to paragraph 46.
    62.6 In addition to the hours a teacher is required to be available for work under sub-paragraph 4 or 5, as the case may be, a teacher must work such reasonable additional hours as may be necessary to enable the effective discharge of the teacher’s professional duties, including, in particular planning and preparing courses and lessons; and assessing, monitoring, recording and reporting on the learning needs, progress and achievements of assigned pupils.

62.7 The employer must not determine how many of the additional hours referred to in sub-paragraph 6 must be worked or when these hours must be worked.

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

W
    Where does 1265 come from then?

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's 1265 Directed Time hours in most school years but 1258.5 in this academic year because of the extra day off for the Queen's Jubilee.

8. greeneyes

greeneyes New commenter

My school is saying that they've already built the jubilee into the 1265 of this year ... but when we were opening as an academy they worked it out exactly to 1265 and I can't see a new document showing the difference of this year.

Tightwads. Isn't 1265 the maximum and not something that Head Teachers are meant to aspire to meet? [​IMG]

9. If they adhere to STPCD then they <u>must</u> have the reduced limit for this academic year.

10. Are there any particular hours we are supposed to work? The support staff at my school must be in school between 8.30am and 3.45pm, but there are no guidelines for teachers as far as I know. Is there a set time we are meant to arrive and leave? If a teacher arrives at 8.30am and leaves at 3.40pm are they underworking according to the hours required?

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Your school has to hold Directed Time Budget sheets on all of you. There will be a document somewhere (staff handbook?) that should detail the latest time that you should arrive at school and the earliest time that you can leave. The start time is usually to be there for Staff briefing or for 10 mins prior to start of the pupil day and to stay on the premises for 10 minutes after the pupils leave.
    There will then be additional hours of attendance for meetings and parents' evenings etc. The daily average Directed Hours are 6.5 but you are directed for fewer than that on some days to allow for the the days when your presence is required for longer than the average.
    The 5 INSET days are usually tallied as 5 hours per day.
    The meetings and parents' evenings etc must be planned well in advance and staff should have access to the calendar of events from the start of the school year (or before).

12. Brilliant news, I didn't know this was how it worked, so thanks for the info - I will count the days again to double check and make sure we are only working for 189 days :-D

13. Sorry end of message did not make post
    no, aspiration has nothing to do with it