1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours? Advice please

Discussion in 'English' started by Cherrypie2, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Hi
    Can someone please advise me on how many hours are needed for a whole class reading of Of Mice and Men? Would four 1 hour lessons be about right? I'm not planning on reading it all the way through but an indication of how many hours it would take for the whole novella to be read would help me with my planning
    Thank you guys
    Cherry

2. As with all novels at GCSE, it's essential that the students do reading OUTSIDE lessons. it would be worth thinking through specific chapters/excerpts to "do" in class and set target lines/paragraphs for the next lesson. It's a novella, it's been chosen as a text because it's accessible and do-able . Have a look at the many websites out there. Get the students to create a time-line of events- this engages them and makes them want to complete their chart.

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

ROFL!!!

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

What ability are the group? I read every word with most sets, discussing as we go. Homework is usually a couple of comprehension questions, opening paragraphs for exam questions, essay plan, finding quotations etc rather than reading. When reading for revision, I set a chapter and teach an aspect of the novel in following lessons. If they don't read atvthat stage (and many won't), I give up because we've read it once, we're discussing it in class and they're looking at past papers. I explain why they need to know it really well. If they take no notice, that's their choice. I haven't taught it to a top set before but will be doing so. I think we'll still read it in class although I might skip bits. I would allow six weeks to read it, but that would be with writing activities and maybe some speaking and listening. If I finished early, I'd fill in with poetry and if I needed more time, I'd take longer. So it would take as long as it takes. I do quite a bit on lynch mobs, Steinbeck's style, narrative viewpoint and structure along the way and some classes take longer with specific points. One year, we seemed to be reading it forever because there was a lot in the news about cockle pickets drowning on a UK beach and students made the connection,

5. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Yes four one hour sessions should be enough just. Outside of lessons... hm... in some worlds. Not mine. Personally I think readingit through once before studying it is essential to understand the structure and foreshadowing of events which underpin the whole novel.
    And I read it. 'Cos they're rubbish. [​IMG]

6. I agree that should be enough although you lose the opportunity to do any activities as you go along. Personally I think it's more effective to take your time and give them the opportunity to work on, say, the characters before rushing ahead. As for reading at home - not a sensible choice unless you have a high ability group who will want to read it. In my experience it makes life difficult because they can't access the classwork due to lack of understanding.

7. Thank you all for your replies - your responses have helped a great deal.