1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours a week do you work on average?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SCAW12, Sep 29, 2018.

1. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I arrived just in time to start teaching and left just after my last lesson - unless I stopped for a chat. I always had lunch during the lunch hour, although I didn't always take the full hour. I didn't eat lunch whilst working at my desk like some colleagues. My HoD and senior management always took the full lunch hour and sometimes a bit extra, quite a few of them lived near enough to go home and walk the dog during the lunch hour.
    The main thing that I did in college was make love to the photocopier. We had a long standing relationship which mean that every spare moment was spent with the photocopier.
    Sometimes I got marking done in lesson time. Sometimes I marked at home in front of the TV which I did not mind. I like marking.
    I did a lot from home because I preferred it that way. All lesson planning and creating resources - which were printed off in college, or e-mailed to reprographics to be ready for collection. Lessons uploaded to virtual learning platform.
    We were expected to write reports, send C4C's, and fill in dreaded trackers in our own time, at home (or work until whenever). We were given deadlines for when our super-dooper trackers should be completed (with about 20+ columns for each student). The college employed apprentices to ensure that we had filled in our trackers - they reported to the compliance manager who worked 9-5 only, the compliance manager threatened us if the trackers were not done in time. (Her job was to make sure that the students complied but it was easier to make sure that staff complied).
    Two incidents stick in my mind. Once we were told to colour all of our trackers in within the next 48 hours. Each student had to be coloured in green if they were on target, amber if they needed improvement - together with what we were doing about it, red if they were in danger of failing. Likewise, each piece of work that they had completed. Blue if they had been withdrawn from the course, yellow to highlight any learning difficulties and access arrangements and purple for something else. One teacher wrote back that that was a ridiculous demand and handed her notice in forthwith. Another had a full teaching schedule with no free lessons because he was covering staff illness (stress). He wrote that he didn't have the time to do it. He had a disciplinary. He left.
    p.s the trackers did look pretty though.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. ityac54321

ityac54321 New commenter

I did a 15hr day the other day, mainly due to marking and a lesson ob. I have reduced my days to 4 and this week I am looking at over 60hrs of work if I include working at home in the morning of my day off and the hours that I plan to work on the Sunday

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Some years ago our leadership team formed a group of staff to monitor hours worked. For 3 weeks, we logged everything we did, and the time spent. We believe we clocked up an average of 60 to 65 hours a week.

When the leadership bod presented results to the full staff, this average had been reduce to 51. When when of our member queried this, they were told that hours worked at weekends didn't count and so had been removed....

Whereas we went into the exercise as a way of trying to reduce workload, the leadership bod stated to the staff that with minor little tweaks we could all reduce our hours to 40 if we wished...

Unfortunately the minor tweaks that some of took did not sit well with leadership.

4. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

I was on a 0.7 contract and doing 40 hours. Needed more money but couldn't face doing 60 hours if I went full time.

So I got out of teaching and into an office. Went to visit ex-colleagues and they asked how I was finding full time. I said it had been a struggle ... to find what to do with my extra 4 hours I'd gained from being on a 36hr contract but I was managing!

I look at school jobs and am tempted and then remember I now wake at 7.30 rather than arrive at work at that time.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The SMT bod might well have said, "All hours worked above forty do not count.":mad:

6. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Senior commenter

A colleague was telling me about these Twitter superteachers (eyeroll) who are forever tweeting about teaching, creating resources, banging on about teaching, and how he has heard some of these people saying (proudly) that they will never get married or have a long term relationship because it would impact too much on their precious teaching. THE JOB IS TOO IMPORTANT, GUYZZZ.

If ever a group of people needed to catch themselves the **** on, it's these. They do us all a disservice.

agathamorse, pepper5 and CWadd like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@FriarLawrence: That dreaded 'vocational' nature of teaching again.

8. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Senior commenter

I don't mind teaching being a vocation. It was when I started, and I guess still kind of is. I just don't see why people think having a calling means you can't live a normal life.

9. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Out of curiosity, do you not mark anything? I expect supply teachers in my classroom to mark and give feedback so I can carry on the next day. Otherwise you're just babysitting

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In my experience (secondary) only supply teachers on a fairly long term contract (more than a week...) would/could do any marking.

agathamorse, pepper5 and GirlGremlin like this.
  11. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Primary supply should mark work. I don't know about secondary - it's a very different kettle of fish.

12. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

In reply to OP, probably between 45 and 55 but I don't count. Full time primary teacher. Just reminiscing about those days on supply all those years ago...

pepper5 likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Too many at the moment

pepper5 likes this.
  14. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Pretty much 7.30-5.30, and I tend to stop only for 30 minutes at most for lunch, sometimes just 15 minutes. What’s that a week - nearly 50 hours? I do tend to plan and resource in the holidays, though, so in term time it’s more choosing what to do when, and keeping up with the nearly-endless marking, of course. It sounds grim, but on the plus side, I don’t have to do much in the evenings or at weekends, so I can have a life outside school. I used to bring it all home to do, and probably did nearer 70 hours as a result, but now I find a box of books just stays in the car and I drive it back the next day, so I’ve given up. At the end of the week, I just tick-and-flick the foundation subjects to clear it and walk out feeling free. No one has challenged me on it - yet...

15. jojokeeno71

jojokeeno71 New commenter

16. zezmel

zezmel New commenter

Primary NQT in y5/6 in a small school.

60hrs + a week and usually 20 hours in the holidays (I was an unqualified teacher while training last year, hence I have a usually).

I hope it gets quicker. I am on my knees already...

pepper5 likes this.
  17. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

Interesting exercise to count, I have never done it before!

Monday 8.30-19.00, but with a break from 1.30-16.30

Tuesday 7.30-23.00, but lots of that is being on duty in a boarding house which isn’t exactly hard work, just being an adult presence.

Wednesday 8.30-13.30, go home at lunch.

Thursday 8.30- 16.00 with an hour and a quarter for lunch

Friday 8.30-19.00 with an hour and a quarter for lunch

Saturday 8.30 - 1700 if home rugby match, around 1900 if away.

So that’s an average of 54 hours at work a week, exluding the lunchtimes I’m not in the boarding house or with a rugby team. I have plenty of gaps in the day to get any marking/planning done so dont need to take work home (and to be honest I’m often just in the staff room chatting), and the commute is only 5 minutes walk each which is nice. But as you can see some days are quite long, and Saturdays can be a pain.

To be fair, if you also then average those hours across the whole year including holidays, it becomes 37 hours a week which would almost be acceptable in France!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    pepper5 likes this.
  18. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

In reply to the original poster - start at 7.30, till 4.30 or 5. Half an hour max for lunch, can be only 10 minutes. Sometimes a couple of hours at the weekend, but not always. And that's as a primary HLTA.

19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Unless you’ve got an unusually large amount of contracted hours, you are bonkers!

Our TA/HLTAs work only the hours they’re paid for then go home. We wouldn’t expect any different.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

HOD 8am until 5pm most days,so about 40 hours in the daytime.
    Up to 20 hours of admin and marking at home. Mainly GCSE.

agathamorse likes this.