1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours a week do you work on average?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SCAW12, Sep 29, 2018.

1. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I have worked between 50-60 hours a week this term in secondary state school. Tired with four weeks to go! Wondered about working hours of others?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I get in at about 7.30 and leave about 6.00 on most days.
    Given the breaks I work through, probably about the same as you.

Independent prep school and seeing head/DH next week about it, because it isn't sustainable with an hour or so commute either side of it and not normal in my school.

3. Apple76

Apple76 New commenter

I work between 35-40 hrs. I get in between 7.30-8.30 and leave before 4.30. Friday I’m out by 4 at the latest.

I make myself have a 30 min lunch break every day by going out for coffee.(school is inner London)

I rarely do any work at home and don’t bring marking home. I may have to do so as things get busier as I teach a coursework based subject but I’ll only do that if I can’t keep up at school.

I used to be a middle leader and have gone back to being a clsssroom teacher so I think this helps. I’m used to finding ways to manage my lack of time. I also teach a lot of 6th form so in some lessons they are busy with coursework and I can get stuff done so I’m lucky in that respect.

I’ve been teaching 23 years. The long hours are not sustainable and time for you, family and health is more precious

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

7:30 till whenever stuff’s done.

Could be 3:30pm, could be 6:00pm, depends on the size of the stuff...

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

7.30am til 5pm. If it doesn't get done between those hours, it doesn't get done.

tall tales and agathamorse like this.
  6. SCAW12

Thanks all for your helpful responses. You have confirmed that my hours are similar to your own.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

7.00 or 7.30 until 5pm. Maybe a few hours at the weekend if I've had a PPA that's more about caffeine loading than productivity. Work through most breaks, so similar to you. Note, my school finishes teaching at 4.45 and I'm currently learning how to do more department leadery stuff, plus this term has the least pre-resourced lessons due to a new text and a new approach to teaching non-fiction papers (though resourcing like mad next year will be a doddle). We use whole-class feedback sheets and marking grids to save some time. We teach entirely GCSE in our dept - 14-19 college but we don't offer A level English (yet).

Grandsire and agathamorse like this.
  8. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

as little as possible lol.

9. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

What are the contact hours with the children? That’s a lot of hours for eyfs. That definitely isn’t sustainable. I get in about 8:15, work through lunch break and leave 4pm 5pm, 4pm, 16:30 and 15:30 almost every week. The eyfs leader and my three year partners all leave the same time as me and most of the school. Xxx

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've done up to around a 100 hours a week in some schools in the past, and I'm still angry about all the hours of my life I wasted, but it sneaks up on you most insidiously. These days I set a very firm limit of 70 at most, although most weeks closer to 60

11. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

32.5. I only work directed time. I’m primary SEN.

12. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

At different times in my working life, I kept records of the time I spent, sometimes out of interest and at other times in order to lodge a workload grievance.

In 1975, with 22 45/50-minute periods I averaged about 50 hours a week. I have only a graph from that time so cannot be precise. I taught year 7 English, year 8 English, Year 10 English, year 8 social studies (2 classes) and year 9 social studies.

In 1979, with 19 45/50-minute periods, I averaged 41 hours 56 minutes. I taught year 8 English, year 10 English, Year 11 English and year 10 history. I was also the school’s timetabler (3 hours 28 minutes), daily organiser (3 hours 27 minutes) and English coordinator (4 hours 14 minutes). For every hour I spent in class, I spent about one hour and 10 minutes on preparation and correction.

In 1981, with 28 40-minute periods, the highest ever, I averaged 53 hours 48 minutes a week in the first survey period and 55 hours 18 minutes in the second. I taught year 7 English, year 10 English, Year 11 English, year 12 English and year 9 history.

In 1982, with 17 50-minute periods, I averaged 50 hours 9 minutes. I taught, year 10 English (two classes), year 11 history and year 7 current affairs. I was also senior school coordinator (7 hours 10 minutes). For every hour I spent in class, I spent about one hour and 10 minutes on preparation and correction.

I can’t get hold of some of my records because I have a new computer and it won’t open document created by some older applications, but memory says 50-hour weeks were standard for most years.

In my last two years, with 15 72- minute periods – madness, I know! – and at last devoid of all leadership positions, I averaged around 40 hours a week. In 2005, I taught year 7 English (two classes), year 7 history (2 classes), year 9 history.

Note that, in accordance with union policy in the early years and state policy in later years, classes were generally set at a maximum of 25 students, though I did have more then 25 students in one class in 1979 and two classes in 1981.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. SCAW12

Wow, as a 70s child, this has blown my mind, Christopher Curtis. I have been recording hours this year for the first time, just out of interest. Thanks for sharing these stats and everyone else for taking the time to respond.

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I was working about 60 hour weeks about 15 years ago, and it was too much. I went to 0.8 and immediately felt the difference; I was able to prepare new and effective lessons, to mark more efficiently and to teach better. And I had time for a life, too.
    Then I changed schools to a much more toxic environment, (still on 0.8) and my hours increased phenomenally, back up to 60+ a week. I became ill, with WRS, and now I do about one day a month supply. The rest of my work is self-employed and to an extent I can chose how much I do.
    I would not go back to those bonkers hours again. I don't think I could.

15. Robberto

Robberto Occasional commenter

Varies depending on the school I'm in. Currently 45 hours a week, nothing at home.

16. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I have never done any work at home - well, I have probably taken a bit of marking home about 20 times since 1989.

17. xtra

xtra New commenter

7:30 to 5:00 with no lunch break on 3 days. Work from home 7:00 to 10:00 three nights a week and all day Sunday (10:00-8:00). Same working pattern for 12 years and still always told I haven’t done enough/need to do more differentiation & marking etc.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

Contact hours are from 8.15 to 4.15, though not all arrive at that time, but by 9.00 all are in.
    I also don't do any work at home at all, so not very different hours to most other people here.

19. chickpea747

chickpea747 New commenter

I did 45 hours last week for a 2.5 day job in primary. I am aiming to hand my notice in at half term to do admin temping. I temped for a month last year inbetween jobs and picked up about £100 less per month. Knowing that is making it even harder, plus I could use the toilet/have a drink when I wanted. I am never taking a teaching job again.

tenpast7, agathamorse and Fluffest like this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

Try a different school. Most people on this thread seem to be doing similar or just slightly more hours than you for a full time job.

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.