1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours a week do you work as a Early Years Practitioner?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ArtistS4, Mar 31, 2012.

1. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

Hi all,

I have been offered a job in a lovely little school in London which I am very excited about. However, I was sent their 'welcome pack' yesterday and I have to sign something to agree to work 48 hour weeks. That seems an awful lot for the amount I'm going to get paid. What are the average weekly hours in Early Years?!

Thank you,

Sophie

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

As a teacher, I'd expect the school hours plus time either side of the day to prepare and sort out for the next day plus planning. But I'm guessing from what you say that you're a nursery nurse and possibly it's a private setting? Divide one number into the other and see what the hourly wage is. If your'e not happy, walk away.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm assuming it isn't a state maintained school?

4. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

It is a private school, yes.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

then basically the school can set the hours and salary

6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If it says anything about working more than 48 hours, don't just sign it:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10029426

7. If you're getting paid for the hours, then sign up! Most teachers in Early Years put in hours and hours above their contract as they are salary paid.