1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many GCSE Maths lessons a week?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mr.cooke, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I am a little concerned, how many lessons a week does your school teach GCSE Maths? Our Year 10 have the Edexcel Foundation GCSE exam in June 2013 but only have 3 lessons a week! In my opinion this is not enough.

Thanks

2. I am a little concerned, how many lessons a week does your school teach GCSE Maths? Our Year 10 have the Edexcel Foundation GCSE exam in June 2013 but only have 3 lessons a week! In my opinion this is not enough.

Thanks

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I agree that 3 lessons is not enough, but I think you'll find it fairly standard. Round here most schools run 5 one hour periods per day with three lessons of maths per week. A few (lucky) schools run 6 period days of 50mins and have four lessons a week - a much better situation IMO.

Ideal? one lesson per day, 40 mins. 8 period day. That's what I had at school and it seemed to work! But then, I'm old fashioned.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Change the 50 mins to 45 mins and you have exactly the way we do it - for years 8, 9, 10 and 11.

5. The lessons we do are one hour! 3 times a week!

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

We end up with 3 hours and 45 mins per week, but I feel what is also important is that we get to see the students every day.

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

seeing the students each day is so important.

8. September

September New commenter

From September I have my dream timetable of 5 hours per week for Year 7,8. Year 9,10, 11 continue with 4 hours per week. As Year 7 and 8 progress they will have 5 hours per week all the way through.

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

most schools have had in excess of 500 hours of maths tuition by year 11. If we choose to enter modules in year 9 or 10 that is up to us.
    Can anyone really claim that 500 hours is not enough to achieve a C grade GCSE?
    and having taught supply in primary (in fact from nursery to VIth form) these past two years, it is vital that maths teachers go and see where year 4 and 5 pupils are at, it is far far further on than i appreciated as a secondary teacher! My experience suggests that every year 7 scheme of work i used was taking pupils back by up to two years.

10. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

There was a thread on this a while ago and 3 hours a week is quite standard though there is a lot of variation. We have 3 hours a week with all year groups but from Sept we will have 7 hours a fortnight with Y10 and then in the future should have 7 hrs a fortnight with all KS4 pupils.
    Found a thread that was started in Sept 2008 but added to more recently.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/155338.aspx?PageIndex=1

11. Lol.
    You obviously aren't at my school then...

12. Then the vast majority must have forgotten much of what they learnt in the 6 weeks between July and September, or moving to "the big school" has scared them to the extent that they just forget how to do a lot of things.
    When a child arrives in Y7 with a level 5 and cannot do multiplication and division with any continual degree of accuracy, then their level 5 is suspect.

13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

do bear in mind that most primaries that i have taught in, place Maths at the top of the priority list by timetabling it for the first hour of the day every day, plus an extra mental maths slot somewhere else in the week.
    Trickier in secondary but if i were planning a timetable i would try and get as many prime slots for maths and english across the school. Maybe i am old fashioned but i would put as much pe, art, drama etc in the afternoon as possible
    division is a real issue, not helped by soem of the short cut ways of learning timestables, i always focus on the invers (division facts) as much as the multiplication nowadys!

14. 3 x 1.5 hours.

15. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The trouble is that you'd either need to employ maths/English teachers mornings only, and practical subject teachers afternoons only, or you'd need all the maths/English teachers to teach a practical subject. Oh, and double the capacity in the practical teaching spaces. The best you can hope for is a balanced spread of times of day for each block.

16. It's also a balanced split between developmental classes (Key Stage 3) and "important classes" (Target group Year 11)

There was widespread annoyance in our department last year when we were a double session friday afternoon with Year 11. So much so that the head ordered that the morning and afternoon was switched round for the whole timetable.
    This year I have my "lovely" Year 10s last on a Friday and is the first time in 4 years I've taught Friday afternoon.

We give our year 7 and 8, 3 1.5 hour sessions, where as our Key Stage 4 get a double (3 hour) and a single (1.5 hour).

17. weggster

weggster New commenter

110 hours a year

18. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

So much of it is wasted - either by behaviour or by the spiral curriculum.

One of my kids is in the top set of his comp. No one in that set had a NC level below 8 at the end of year 9.

Guess what they're doing at the moment? Adding and subtracting decimals.

(They're bored to tears.)

It'll be LCM and HCF next week, no doubt.

19. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Thing is, I'd expect there are a heck of a lot of teachers out there who love a part time, mornings only job.

School managers just don't have the imagination to even try it.

20. Our year 8, 9 and 10 get 6 hours a fortnight, our year 7 and 11 get 7 hours (we run a two week timetable)