1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many GCSE Equivalents?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by wiv7, Sep 1, 2011.

1. wiv7

wiv7 New commenter

Assuming they are the new 2010 units they are worth 2. To be awarded the equiv of one you need to complete the mandatory unit 1, a large unit (like 4) and a half unit (like 21). For the 2nd you need to complete 2 large units, like 5 and 7.

2. thats what it says in my school booklet but this link sees to thin otherwise and says that the maximum points available will be 13.5 and you need 7.0 for 2 GCSE.It says 4 of the Units are 60 (D3,M2 and P1) and the other 1 Units are 30(D1.5M1.0P0.5) so that seems to equal 270 GLH that is equal to 3 GCSEs but you've just said what the school said.Here's the link:http://www.docstoc.com/docs/52010020/OCR-NATIONALS-EXPO-2007-OCR-L2-Nationals-in-ICT Slide 4-11 useful!!!

3. Don't get too hung up over how many GCSEs a Nationals is worth. I've just done a quick search of this forum and most people seem to think that they aren't worth anything becasue they are a bit on the easy side to pass. Do you have any option to do a proper course?

4. It is compulsory to do 1 GCSE and i opted for 2 but have the school accidentally put us in for 3 please stick to the question and don't say GCSE is much better, do you have a choice?I want to know how many equivalents the units i'm doing are supposed to be equivalent to and don't be bias about it and i'm sticking with this course!!!

5. Tell you what, son. Go ask your teacher. This is a forum for grown-ups and to be honest, I'm having trouble understanding what you are writing. Try typing into Word first, then spellcheck and grammar check your post. Then copy and paste it here.

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Bit harsh YMC.
    A bit of a "Pot to Kettle" situation too:
    Kid's only trying to find out what he's doing.
    That said OP your best port of call is, as YMC has said, your teacher.
    If you're on the old specification you'll have 3 GCSEs so far with the units you've listed. If you're on the new specification you'll have 1 more small unit to complete to get 2 GCSEs.

7. Thanks for notifying me about the new specification and i have now checked it and i don't need any more units because i'm doing the mandatory 3 full units and one half unit which works out as 2 GCSE!!!

8. God bless the invention of full stops.

9. How rude and unnecessary. Shame to be so young and have such a closed mind.

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

In the OP you've done 4 large and one small.
    3 FULL units and ONE HALF unit doesn't equal 2 GCSE on either specification.

11. Sorry I meant 4!!!