1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many experienced teachers are outweighed by one young clueless deputy head?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Malachite19, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Malachite19

Malachite19 New commenter

How is it that one deputy head in their twenties with no particular discernible talent, knowledge or skill, can over rule an entire staff with a combined many centuries of experience and knowledge?

I don’t understand.

he has nothing. He isn’t particularly clever, or qualified, and has about 3 years classroom experience, yet we all have to bend to his rule of iron, even when he clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

what he goes have in shedloads is confidence and self belief.

Is that really the only qualification needed to run a school?

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

He has the balance of power. Sad, but there it is.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Please don't tell me he wears a blue, fitted suit - quite tight in the leg - and brown, shiny boots? AKA THE go to. suit for youngsters these days!

No offence intended to anyone. I see such suited and booted fellas who work at a fancy car

show room every morning on my commute. Just a personal grudge that has neither rhyme nor reason.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ummm as you only started teaching this September...it's not surprising that this is news to you.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What a ridiculous comment

7. caterpillartobutterfly

I meant that the rest of us are fully aware of this and that it isn't noteworthy.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Which is why I meant it was ridiculous.
    "Actually I've already known that for years and so has everybody else, just not you"
    and
    "So what, who cares?"

Just not sure why you posted it,what it is meant to contribute,

I like the post and am comfortable with that sort of caricature.

Curae likes this.
  9. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I was more thinking that the OP might not have enough experience to validly judge the assistant head's ability...

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

That is the way things have been going for the last 10 - 15 years. Management numbers increase while teachers decrease. For each new manager's salary, a couple of teachers get 'moved of the bus'.

11. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Considering that the young, clueless deputy head actually has 3 times the classroom experience of the OP, this is a reasonable viewpoint. Especially since the OP included themselves in the "yet we all have to bend to his rule of iron" statement.

Of course that doesn't mean that the DH isn't clueless with more ******** than brains, and the OP does have my sympathy.

12. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

A Deputy Head does not run a school. The Headteacher does!

13. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

What I'm interested to know is, did all of these experienced teachers go for the deputy head post? Did he get it over lots of people who had more experience? Or was he the only one to stick hie head over the parapet and go for a SM post? I think it requires a lot of confidence and self-belief to go into management these days - I wouldn't want to do it!

14. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

I've met loads of 'em - slick. dissembling, Emperor'-new-clothes-types; time serving careerists doing the 'devil's business' and just about keeping the whole rickety charabanc on its tracks. Good luck to em!...PS I could go on

Curae, agathamorse and towncryer like this.
  15. Jazztess79

Jazztess79 New commenter

16. Jazztess79

Jazztess79 New commenter

NewbieSLT: tears of laughter!

drek, towncryer, blazer and 5 others like this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I know!
    I absolutely love this Twitter account,and would never ever print out the Tweet I linked in post #2 and put on the staffroom notice board on paper, and then ensure it was repinned there after being taken down over fifteen times.

agathamorse and Deirds like this.
  18. Jazztess79

Jazztess79 New commenter

19. caterpillartobutterfly

Rather rude, but hey ho.

20. Malachite19

Malachite19 New commenter

I’ve taught for decades in different places. This is my first term working as a teacher, teaching in a school.

It’s madness. It’s insane. This is just not how the real world works. I dont know if it is just the school I've found myself in, or if it is more general.

it’s quite clear the instructions coming from this deputy head are a nonsense. It’s quite obvious he had no idea what he is doing. His arrogance is mind blowing. He quotes research without understanding it, and uses statistics without being able to see when they are obviously flawed. He understands less than nothing about our subject, but gets to tell us what to do. He ignored us and over rules us when we try to explain why something won’t work, then blames us when it doesn’t.

I’ve already decided to leave at the end of the year, if not before. Why would anyone live like this?