1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many English lessons does your school offer each week?

Discussion in 'English' started by PETERPIPER, May 17, 2011.

1. Which KS? Ours varies....

2. I'm not sure what we had at primary, but when I taught KS3 English last year, we had five 1-hour sessions a week. What grades do you teach?

3. My resposne is with KS3 and 4 in mind as we have the same number of lessons in each:

OP has 175 minutes a week. That seems woefully little. Until I did the calculations.....

We have 6 hours a fortnight which works out at: 180 minutes a week. Still seems very little but is just about enough. I know a number of local schools where 7 hours a fortnight is what English receives.

I suppose you also have to ask how many lessons Maths and Science receive as well. Especailly at KS4, where Science often tries to play the Double Science card and school leaders seem to forget they get two GCSEs in English as well.

4. Grrrr!!!!! SO, it's not just Safari that suffers from TES's inability to write a website that doesn't require me to use codes to insert anything as esoteric as a paragraph. Currently in Opera and I need the frigg ing codes.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

7 hours a fortnight at KS3 and 3 a week at KS4, which seems daft for 2 subjects, but there you go.

6. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Key stage 3 get 5 one hour lessons a fortnight

Key stage 4 get 6 one hour lessons a fortnight

Year 13 get 5 one hour lessons a fortnight

7. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

Looking at this, I'd say we're lucky. Three hours a week for KS3, four for KS4 and KS5

8. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

My current school has no VI form (weep) but we also had 4 hours a week at KS5 - and you need every second of that.

9. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

4 X 50 mins per week at KS3 and 4
    5 X 50 mins per week at KS5
    From September, we'll get 5x50 at KS3, but 4 and 5 will remain the same.

10. 4 hours a week at KS3 plus one hour of English through Performing Arts and 4 hours a week at KS4 - aside from lower ability end of KS3 who get 5 hours a week of English.
    I'd definitely have an hour a day if I had my way. That way we could actually do some proper enrichment - like the luxury of actually reading and discussing a novel! - instead of <u>only</u> drilling for a certain grade/level.

11. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

8 hours a fortnight KS4, 7 hours a fortnight KS3. Needless to say, all sorts want to cut the time. And, as others have said, we have the opportunity to truly embed a reading culture with the hours we do.

12. We do 100 minute lessons, so KS3 get 3 hrs 20 mins a week. KS4 will be getting 4 hrs 10 mins a week from next year, but at the moment Y11 only get 3 hrs 20 mins a week, while Y10 get 6 delightful hours. I am sick of the sight of them, and they of me.

13. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

6 hours a fortnight at KS3, and 7 hours a fortnight at KS4. There is talk (and it is looking more likely) of that going up to 7 hours a fortnight at KS3 and 8 at KS4!!

14. Year 7 - 4 X 1 hour lessons
    Years 8 and 9 - 3 X 1 hour lessons
    KS4 and KS5 - 4 X 1 hour lessons

15. Years 10 and 11 get nine 50 minute periods over two weeks. They never bloody go away.

16. manc

manc New commenter

I see my Year 11 and Year 10 every day of the week for 50 minutes: no time off for good behaviour for us.

17. Englishteacher2

Englishteacher2 New commenter

Year 7 - 8 hours per fortnight (6 hours per fortnight for higher ability)
    Years 8 and 9 - 6 hours per fortnight, but probably going up to 8 hours per fortnight
    KS4 - 8 hours per fortnight.
    At our school, science and maths get similar hours to us.