1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many 'drop in' observations should we have?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hbg, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Curae

Curae Star commenter

In Spain HT roles are rotated amongst all experienced teachers ( if they choose to) ..it's a no nonsense approach that works !

galerider123 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

the difference is much smaller than in industry - compare the £1 million plus salaries some directors pay themselves with their average employee.

3. Curae

Curae Star commenter

OMG ..me average !

Piranha likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

30 minutes in the classroom with feedback afterwards isn't a learning walk. It is a full observation.

shalala likes this.
  5. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

You sound like you're working for a school that has no trust in it's teachers... maybe time to look at the ads section.

Do you get targets you have to adapt to EVERY week? Some lessons don't have a point in being observed - like assessment/test lessons, what do they do then? You can't always meet a target if a lesson doesn't fit and it sounds like teachers are going to jump through hoops for a tickbox.

By any chance are you due an ofsted inspection?

6. newkidsontheblock

newkidsontheblock New commenter

I know how you feel @crazypineapple but that is the reality we are in. I do not even know if teachers are allowed to complain to any education bureau or union about it...

crazypineapple likes this.
  7. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Yes ... how can an SLT member with a degree in say English / Drama give constructive feedback on say an A level Physics class on calculus ... yes they will look for general aspects of teaching and student response but have no idea on actual subject knowledge and what type of detailed teaching / methods should be used. Much better to do peer observations.

galerider123 likes this.