1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many don't reach their targets?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, May 15, 2012.

1. They weren't in the past - but are now.
    I am KS2, but my PM states I must make at least two thirds meet their targets. I didn't manage that in my first year (lower maths).

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

All my class are expected to make three sublevels progress with a few target children on four. Yeah right!

Moderators don't judge you or your ability, just whether your current levels are accurate, so don't fret about progress for them.

As for your HT, have a chat with them, if they are reasonable, and let them know now. For a class of 30 the difference between 82% and 90% can only be about 3 children surely. Not the end of the world by any means.

3. I agree with you. If most children made the 6 sub-levels progress they would all be level 3, and that is just madness. I just have to convince a new ht, who has previously only worked in junior schools that this is the case.

4. Blinking bonkeroony!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not when they start year 1 below national expectations and we have to 'close the gap'!

Children need to catch up and so they need to make better than expected progress.

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

This is all going to turn into a numbers game where you keep them low at the start of Autumn of Year 1 and then wow look at the great progress.............

7. But 3 sublevels is better that expected progress! 4 sublevels is crazy when you haven't given them the target yourself. I did have a few of mine who did make 4 sublevels last year and a few this year look like they will, but I certainly couldn't have predicted which ones they would be and have given them a 4 sublevel target. Makes me feel I should be grateful I am not being put under so much pressure. It doesn't mean I don't try for max progress, but I don't feel the weight of it. I feel for you lot who are under this kind of pressure from above.

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Actually none of my class got a 9 in reception. All those 2bs came up as 8s, with my chn that came up as 7s targeted to get a 2c. I suppose any 9s would have been told to get a 2 a!

9. God what a farce it all is eh?
    My school only asks for 2 sub-levels. Other schools ask for 3. Theses are the schools that are pushing for an Outstanding Ofsted judgement, I would imagine.
    We also have the issue with FSP data being really good, even when we have quite a poor cohort. If you unpick the statements, particularly in reading, there are very few that are truly important - and what your F2 teacher thinks it means and what your Y1 teacher thinks it means can be miles apart. They also have the luxury of working 1:1 with those children.
    We are currently doing some moderation around book levels - we are going to say to our F2 teacher - Look, If they come up as a 9 on the profile that means they are well above average and are starting Year 1 at about a 1a and are likely to get a L3 by the end of KS1. They should therefore be able to read book level whatever. If they dont agree, we'll say fine - but we want to know a book level for them when we get them so that we can at least give them NC level based on that and then prove what NC level they were reading at when they started, regardless of FSP data.
    We all KNOW we aren't meant to compare FSP and NC levels but whilst those that be insist on comparing data, we're going to have to find some way to make the transition work without making KS1 look utter pish.

10. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Next year is going to be fantastic!
    The Y1 teacher has been told she is moving into Y2. The current y1 results from spring term on the year t tracking sheet show lots of 2b and 2c already. We will have so many threes and 2a's in year 2.

11. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Ours are changed! This is freaking me out as my stats don't look as good as they did and since Feb we have been in strict revision mode.
    Argh!

12. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Can't believe how popular this has become!! Ridiculous how we get so caught up in this! I'm moderating my levels with assessment co ordintor after half term so will flag up my concerns about yr1 assessment then! Just so worried I'll get in trouble or something! :(

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You won't.

I'm repeatedly grateful that I was a new teacher back in the days when things like this didn't matter. By the time targets, LOs, SC, nonsense mattered I was experienced enough not to care too much. (Says she who has cried 3 times this week over year 2 SATs and moderation!)

14. I had a good old blub to myself laying on my bed a while ago too. I've looked at my data 4 or 5 times this week and tried to predict who will reach their target, who wont and who might exceed it to even out my progress! I've already rehearsed reasons to explain why some haven't made 2 sublevels.
    Even if I send them up completely honestly, our Y3 teacher will still say they weren't at those levels because KS2 teachers expect complete independance in things that KS1 expect with "some support".