1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many don't reach their targets?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, May 15, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Just out of interest, how many would you expect not to reach their ks1 target? How many is too many? First time in ks1 and just worried my data doesn't look very good! In fact, I'm petrified! To the point of wanting to break down and cry!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Heyyy there is ages yet until the end of the year. And it depends on what the targets were...some are ridiculously ambitious.

Have all your class made 2 or 3 sublevels of progress? If so, and the year 1 levels are accurate, then you have done fine.

And if they haven't then hey the year 3 teacher will have a great time next year!

Definitely don't cry about it.

3. Dont worry Fruitloop, Im KS1 coord and having the same breakdown today!! Part of my issue is that when I taught the same children in Y1 I baselined them too high (Due to my own lack of awareness when levelleling within P levels/L1) and now have the same children in Y2 and am paying the price!
    Are their targets to have made 2 sub-levels progress this year?
    Most of mine will but it is my children that were predicted 2c that I don't think will get it - about 4 of them - and it is more due to my levelling last year than their progress this year.
    And a couple that I dont think will get the 2a/3 because they just do not have that 'spark'. I find that really hard - I can teach them grammer, spelling, punctuation, descriptive language etc etc but if children don't have natural flair and creativity (and especially those children that do not read at home and therefore dont pick up story language) they just cannot put it together to create a good piece of writing. Grr.
    The trick is to identify children who you don't think will meet their targets around christmas and try to put booster groups or interventions into place (within your classroom with your TA if possible, and if not by speaking to your coord). At least then you can show you have identified it early and put things in place - even if it is 1:1 reading daily etc.
    The other thing to do is to note down any reasons those children may not have made their targets - one of mine has speech difficulties which heavily affects his sounding out and sentence structure, for example. Another has very very poor attendance. Another has big behaviour problems.
    I hope that's of some help and I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs. But don't feel alone - I feel like this every year during this half term!! It's even worse this year because it's my first year as KS1 coord and I know i'm going to be the one doing all the explaining when Ofsted arrive!!

4. rainbowdrop86

Most will have made 2 sub levels. It's the ones where the ht up'd their targets to get a whole level, particularly those who were up'd to get l3's. These children have all been identified during the year so it's not like it's out of the blue. Just feel like its gonna look awful as first time in yr2. Old yr2 teacher used to inflate hers so mine r gonna look really poor in comparison. Being moderated next week too which is prob y I'm stressing

5. deanow

deanow New commenter

fruitloop, I feel for you. I have lost sleep for weeks for exactly this reason. I have a high proportion of children who, by the end of KS1, will <u>not</u> have made 2 sub levels progress in Year 2 in every area albeit they'll be ahead of Age Related Expectations. I constantly question my ability as a teacher but feel that they have in fact made really good progress this year - it just won't look like it on paper. Yes, there are things I'd do differently next year but I put in interventions, made use of every minute we could to practise different skills, thought about the Topics my class would enjoy, did guided work, shared writing etc etc but still...My Year 3 colleague has looked at children's work with me and thinks my assessment is accurate. They feel they'll have a really solid starting point with them and actually that means a lot. Even so, I'd have loved to show more progress on paper because you can feel under the spotlight.
    Don't cry - remember you have done all you can and children are the most unpredicatble of people!
    xx

6. rainbowdrop86

Thanks all, but seriously, how many are you allowed to get away with?

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Some of mine won't reach theirs. I set them at the start of the year based on 2 sub levels progress and SLT edited them (Without me!) To bring them more in line with national average. At the time I shouted a lot about how they were too ambitious for certain children and it's proved right, even though these children have had a lot of intervention! Part of me just thinks you can only work with what you're given!

8. This really annoys me! How can the HT expect us to work miracles, especially when they don't know the children inside out? I mean, for some children, 2 sublevels is hard enough, never mind a whole level! It really gets me how teachers and children work their hardest all year and the children make good progress (in all areas, not just academically) but if they do not conform and become another statistic, it causes stress and we are seen to "fail" those pupils.
    So it's not going to be a surprise to the HT then.
    Something else that annoys me! This does nothing except make the next year even more difficult for the children. Oh, and make sure the teacher passes their performance management if, like my school, your results are linked to it.
    If you have highlighted these children and had support in place for them, and you know there's nothing else you could have done, I really wouldn't worry about it. As someone said, there's a while until the end of the year yet, so there's still time for them to make progress. Don't stress.

9. I don't know - could it be based on national averages? Or perhaps it's down to the individual school. I'm thinking from around 70%+ to meet or exceed their target is good. That means, of a class of 30, at least 21 would make the expected progress. I could (and probably will) be wrong though.

10. I'm going through this at the moment, too.
    I'm in a tiny rural school and currently have mixed R/1/2. Our SIP (or is it IP?) told my headteacher that they need to make 3 sublevels each year at key stage 1. Mine have in some areas, but mainly they've made 2. I feel sure that I had assessed them accuarately last year. The result is that this year, I shall assess my Reception and Year 1 lower than they should be to avoid any of this worry next year.

11. rainbowdrop86

Just looked at my performance and it says 90%!!!! I'm gonna have 82%. That doesn't sound too bad does it?

12. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I find this thread very interesting. I teach y1 and 9 of my 30 chn are supposed to reach a 2b in writing at the end of year 1. So nearly 1/3 of my class are supposed to be a full year ahead. Anyone else think this is a ridiculous target? Or is it about normal? "nice"school in a leafy area, but a very large number of summer borne. Targets are based on their end of reception fsp levels, which in some cases, are ridiculous.

13. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Sorry to put a dampner on this but Y2 are expected to make a whole level's progress from Y1. Level 1b - 2b for the average child. 2 sub levels isn't enough.

14. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I would be worried if that many y1 chn were coming up to me as a 2b. I'd flag that up straight away and ask for examples of their work to prove it, then moderate it to make triple sure!

15. Surely that doesn't make sense. We are told that a 6/7 on the profile should bring them in to Year 1 as a 1c (I know opinion on this varies as previously we were equating 9 on the profile with a 1c, but our SIP told us we had to re-adjust). Anyway, if 6 on the profile is considered average then all the average children would be getting 3c by the end of Year 2 if they made 6 sub levels of progress. In our school the expectation is 1b by the end of Year 1 (so in the past this has generally been 2 sub levels progress) with the same as Year 2, but at the same time the unsaid expectation of 3 sublevels in order to hit the 2b. The teachers in KS1 work on achieving 5 sub levels across KS1. We are lucky though, as we set our own targets based on what we know about the children. I set some at 2 and some at 3, but I don't seem what could happen if those I put as 3 sub levels for a target only make 2. I have to explain on pupil profiles why some children are at risk of not making their 2 sub levels of progress and to put things in place to tackle this, but beyond this the only focus in on the number of level 3s. They have flagged there are far fewer level 3s than there used to be. This is because in the past if someone got a level 3 on a SAT paper they were put down as this (even when they weren't generally working at this level), whereas now we use APP, not the test. The Year 3 teachers have said our levels are much more accurate, but of course it looks bad in comparison to the previous years and we are expected to tackle this and get the same number of level 3s as in past years.
    Fruitloops, I wouldn't think there is an acceptable or unacceptable number of children who haven't reached their targets, if they are not targets set by you and not targets that you agreed were reasonable to start with. If they have made 2 sub levels of progress this is great. You can show the progress they have made. I think you would have to be honest and say they have made the progress you felt they could make, which is why you gave them that target. It seems like the HT thought that by raising their target this would somehow magically make them a sub level higher! You need to show the good progress they have made and be ready to explain what you have done to make sure all the children reached their potential and any barriers to their learning and progress. I am sure every teacher has children who don't meet their targets. As long as you know why (including the fact that someone who didn't know the children gave them artificially high targets!) and can explain their progress, you have shown you have done everything you can.

16. I didn't think they were allowed to have this kind of target in your performance management.

17. rainbowdrop86

This is part of my problem. Our yr1 teacher sends them up far too high! Just this week she has put someone as a 2a because of 1 piece of work, not an overall judgement!

18. Totally ridiculous, I agree. They will have been given 9s in Reception, and that is just setting their future teachers up to fail. It's a real struggle to show value added when their Reception scores are so high.These children will all have to reach level 5 just to make expected progress by the time they reach Year 6.

19. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Flag that up now, I'd speak to management and say you're concerned and ask for a moderation or something, or when you're given the levels by that teacher ask to see a range of evidence to prove this, alarm bells are ringing if it's based on one piece of work!

20. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We've been told that the 2/3 is not good enough now. It's all about the points that they make and that in KS1 they have to make more progress. All the chn need to make at least 1 whole level in Year 1 and again in Year 2.