1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many days sick can you have before it affects passing your NQT year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by bingo222, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi,
    The NQT at my school is worried that she has had too many days sick this year and so won't complete her NQT year (which ends in December). Currently she's had about 8 days since January 2010.
    I thought you were allowed about 30 days before you had to extend your NQT year, but I can't think where I got that from!
    Hope you can help!

2. Hi
    The maximum number of days that the NQT induction year can be shortened by is 29. The Local Authority can in exceptional circumstances reduce the NQT year by up to 29, but actually they can require any absence to be made up unless it is not possible to do so, for example a contract that comes to an end. In short it is up to the LA to decide if they wish to exercise their right to reduce the NQT year by up to 29 days. Once 30 days absence is hit, for whatever reason, then the NQT must make up the time if the NQT stays at the school, or, if they move to another school it may mean another full term on induction.
    James

3. Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply. So, am I right in thinking that in theory she could be asked to make up any days absent, even if it is just 7 or 8?
    Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!!

4. In theory, yes, but most LAs use common sense and if all the induction standards are met, if the school is recommending that she pass and if there is no issue that the LA has thenthey use discretion. That said I have heard of some LAs who literally count the days.
    James