1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many days off is too many?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nans, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Off school today due to personal issues of which the school is aware. This is my 3rd day off since Sept but because of the situaton I am currently in, my 2nd in as many weeks :-( Feeling worried about taking what, for me, is a lot of time off and wondering what is a 'normal' amount of time off when filling in job applications etc.
    What do you all think?
    Nans

2. Off school today due to personal issues of which the school is aware. This is my 3rd day off since Sept but because of the situaton I am currently in, my 2nd in as many weeks :-( Feeling worried about taking what, for me, is a lot of time off and wondering what is a 'normal' amount of time off when filling in job applications etc.
    What do you all think?
    Nans

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Most schools, due to many factors, will consider that any day off is too many.

4. 10 days, you can have a couple of bouts of flu.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Under the new equality legislation you should no longer be asked about your sickness record on appication forms.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

*application*

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is a tricky issue, ILS, because currently the advice is not clear.
    In fact the information about the DDA (now the Equality Act 2010) and the new regs that came in on 1st October 2010 is unclear in that it contradicts other legal requirements.
    A school has, in fact, a legal obligation to ensure that teachers are fit to teach. Similarly, PGCE courses require the same from student applicants.
    On the one hand . . . my advice from an HR professional is that you can ask about absences, but you cannot make an employment decision based on them. You can, therefore, collect this information before interview for monitoring purposes, or to enable you to make reasonable adjustments for a candidate at interview.
    On the other hand . . . since Fitness to Teach is a legal requirement for teaching, it could be said that unfitness specifically disqualifies you, and therefore it is legitimate to make this enquiry at application and reference stage.
    I see a lot of money being earned by lawyers over this contradiction!
    So very many schools will still be asking about absence on application forms, and very many Heads will include this information in their references.
    If, as in the case of the O.P. the absences are personal and not linked to illness, especially not illness which is covered by the DDA, then in fact there is no contradiction at all in asking for or referees providing information relating to absences.
    Personally I don't think absences of just a few days are here or there. No reason for the OP to get worried. But if someone has had a lot of absence, the best thing is to come up front and mention it briefly in the application, saying now over and done, will not reoccur. If that bit is treue, of course, don't say it if not.
    As far as job aplications are concerned, the advice always is to be honest. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
    Best wishes!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details.
    Look forward to seeing you then!

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Hi sooty - does this apply just to teachers or is it universal?
    Thanks.