1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many days off for interviews am I allowed after I have handed in my notice?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nata101, May 16, 2019 at 7:09 PM.

1. nata101

nata101 New commenter

I have recently given in my notice to my school.
    I have been told that it is a legal requirement for my school to give me time off for interviews.
    I have a few interviews coming up. Does anybody know how many interview days off are the school meant to give me?

Thanks

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I don't think there is any requirement to give you time off to attend interviews. Hopefully they will be supportive but I don't believe you have an entitlement .

3. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

I think someone has given you incorrect advice.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

There is no such entitlement. I fear you have been misinformed.

This is a time for smiles, pleases and thank-yous.

mothorchid, ilovesooty, nomad and 2 others like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Post #3 is correct. (You resigned; I think it normal for someone facing redundancy, say, to have it agreed that one can attend as many interviews as required, but that is a different situation).

ilovesooty, nomad and agathamorse like this.
  6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

There’s no legal requirement for a school (or an employer) to give you time off to attend interviews if you have tendered your resignation, or plan to leave on your own accord- the only time they are obliged to do this is if they are making you redundant or you are on a temporary contract and you have been given notice to end your employment.
    It is the HT’s discretion and they are well within their rights to say no.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I agree with advice above. Whoever told you this has misunderstood the law. You have rights of this sort if your employer has made you redundant. But otherwise no such right exists.

agathamorse and IanG like this.
  8. nata101

nata101 New commenter

Wow. I handed in my notice to my headteacher and he said that I can legally attend a number of interviews after I hand in my notice.
    So did the agents at my teaching agency.
    :S

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Well, as multiple posters have said, they are wrong. But if your head thinks that s/he is presumably willing to give you time off for interviews so problem solved! Is your head giving you time off paid or unpaid?

agathamorse, IanG and DYNAMO67 like this.
  10. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

Whilst headteachers are often flexible in staff attending interviews with appropriate notice, there is not a legal requirement to allow. Find it slightly amusing that these ‘professionals’ believe this to be the case. I certainly wouldn’t be correcting them and if they’re potentially going to pay you as well then bonus.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What do you think other workers do?

They take the time as holiday or they may be allowed to go to interview unpaid.

Why on earth would the government compel employers by law to grant staff paid leave to attend interviews?

agathamorse likes this.