1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many days in Uni and School?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Alexhayter, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Alexhayter

Alexhayter New commenter

Hi everyone,

this is my first post and I am not sure if this has been asked before so sorry if it is a repeat question. I am starting a Schools Direct Primary with Maths PGCE in September and I was wondering how many days I can and should expect to be in University and the school? The School were saying they were expecting me 4 full days a week spread over a 5 day period but then said that they have never done a Schools Direct before and that they aren't really that sure what they are doing :-S I have a 16 month old son who I will be looking to put into nursery full time but I would love to get an idea of how many days would be normal to be in the university, especially as the school have suggested I come in and visit on three occasions before the end of this term so that I can shadow on one day and teach on the other two :-S I am a little scared and the University have been no help!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Ask uni for a timetable, they should be able to provide it even if it's not quite finalised.

I did schools direct last year. My timetable was something like this (to the best of my recollection!), but all SD programmes are different to one another:
    - From September to October half term I was at uni 1 day a week, and either at the main SD school or a different school doing training one day or one afternoon per week, and at my placement school every other day of the week.
    - After October half term, up till Christmas, I was at my placement school every day, except for the odd afternoon or 'twilight' session at the main school or another school for training sessions.
    - Jan to Feb same as Sep to Oct, whilst at my second placement school.
    - Feb till end of May same as Oct to Christmas, whilst at second placement school.
    - Start of June 2 weeks at a different school to mop up any areas not covered at either placement (we could choose SEN, EAL, post-16 etc.)
    - Then 1 final pointless day at uni filling out a career profile that my NQT school never even asked about.

3. Alexhayter

Alexhayter New commenter

I've asked for a timetable and been provided with a provisional one but it appears that I will be following the University PGCE timetable and just at my school for a total of 17 weeks over the course of the year.... Is this normal???

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Sorry, I should have said to ask the lead school in your school direct consortium for a timetable - uni won't be aware of the timetables for all the different consortiums. But when you do get the timetable it will be interesting to compare it with uni's!

5. KB2015

KB2015 New commenter

I did school direct last year and my timetable was 4 days in my placement school and one day a week training which was usually based at different schools.