1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many 'corners' do you have?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jel65, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Ok so we all have basically 4 corners in a rectangular classroom (3 corners and a doorway in my case) but have to create areas and corners for all kinds of activities ... i have a creative corner, messy play table, role play corner, writing corner, quiet corner, computer bay, small world area - and would like to create a challenge corner and an investigations area for next year!! how many corners do you have? ;-)

2. Ok so we all have basically 4 corners in a rectangular classroom (3 corners and a doorway in my case) but have to create areas and corners for all kinds of activities ... i have a creative corner, messy play table, role play corner, writing corner, quiet corner, computer bay, small world area - and would like to create a challenge corner and an investigations area for next year!! how many corners do you have? ;-)

3. OK, so I don't have a rectangular clasroom, but I have..
    maths challenge, role play area, writing area, investigation area, creative area, computer, construction zone, book/quiet area, RE interactive display, (with table top) prayer table, phonics interactive display (with table top),
    ummmmm, picturing my classroom whilst on holiday is hard!!

4. sorry! all classrooms that i've taught in have been boringly rectangular ...

think tho, what i'd really like (and maybe sometimes need) is a ... 3.30pm gin and tonic corner!! ;-)

5. I am an NQT about to start in reception and have an 'L' shaped classrooom. However, I don't think I have enough corners! I don't like the positioning of my Interactive Whiteboard but suppose I will have to learn to love it hehe! I have no idea where to put my book/reading/quiet corner...this has been baffling me for hours. I've been trying to picture my classroom and draw out plans but just don't know where to put each area/table etc!! How do experienced teachers manage this?
    Obviously, I need my role play area and have a convenient 'boxed shape' area to my classroom where I am hoping to put this. I also need to include a fruit/snack bar area, as well as all the areas of the EYFS.

6. I don't have all the recommended areas all the time as my classroom is not big enough, but between inside and outside, I think we cover it! For reading, I started last year with a cosy reading area at the edge of the room, but it spent the first term being turned into a role play bedroom! During the year I moved it to the middle, nearer to the carpet area, and so it's quite open, and it got much more use. This could be because the children could read more for themselves as the year went on though. I'll try again in September! For role play, I have spent the year trying out different areas such as garden centre, travel agent, nativity scene etc, and every one gets turned back into a house. I don't have room for both, so this year, I am going to have a 'home corner' all year (or as long as is needed) and will provide topic boxes for other things. I like the idea of deconstructed role play too, and often provide lots of open ended resources as I come across them. It's such a juggle!

7. Hi, slightly going off on a tangent but what do you have on your RE table/ display? This is something I have thought of doing but wouldn't know where to start...thanks

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter