1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many controlled assessments per half term?

Discussion in 'English' started by captain_picard, Nov 24, 2011.

1. captain_picard

captain_picard New commenter

Hi.
    How many controlled assessments should we be doing per half term? Our school wants us to do everything in one year for Year 10. So this term, we are doing Of Mice and Men plus the controlled assessments plus the exam from last year. So essentially 2 weeks on each CA. Next term we are doing the poetry CA, the Shakespeare CA and all 3 S&L tasks. Is this doable? Seems like LOADS of pressure and marking.
    Thanks

2. Liz, is there any way I can beg you to send me your WJEC2 year plan? PLEASSSSE[​IMG]
    I work in a boys' EBD school. I am really struggling as I have to teach Functional Skills at the same time. They are extreme mixed ability in behaviour and intelligence. Motivation is a problem too. I would love to be able to get some of them a GCSE.
    I am teaching OF MICE AND MEN with mixed results and I have limited resources other than this. I don't have much idea what to do next term. I would really appreciate your help.
    sue_corless@hotmail.com

3. Hello Sue,
    I have recently taken over teaching an English GCSE class (sinilar background pupils to those you mention) and at this stage have no resources. I saw your request for WJEC 2year plan from Liz and was wondering whether youd be willing to share it if she sent it to you? My Y11 pupils are significantly behind in terms of course work and when you add in the behavioural issues I have a huge challenge ahead getting them through this year. We're doing OMAM controlled assessment so any useful information would be fantastic!
    Manythanks
    Sara

4. Umm I shouldn't be worrying about starting with your Y9 until we get the new specs in the summer term. There will be no Controlled Assessments so it will be all change!

5. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi there ukred,
    My 2 year LTP is simple really;
    <u>Year 10</u>
    OMAM - term 1a and 1b -EN1
    Shakespeare and Poetry- 2 a and b- EN1
    Writing x 2 - 3a and 3 b- EN1
    <u>Year 11</u>
    Re do any below par pieces of CA and a last EN1 piece- 1a
    Exam READING - 1B and 2a
    Exam WRITING - 2B and 3 A
    Its the Literature that is a nightmare!
    I am not sure if this is any help...

6. Is it definite that there will be NO CAs? How do we know?

7. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Not definite, but a distinct possibility. See this thread.