1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many Christmas foods have you found disappointing?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

For me, just about every cheese platter where the cheeses contain fruit. I never saw the point of candied fruits, cheese footballs or tins of biscuits containing biscuits you wouldn't normally buy. Same goes for selection boxes of biscuits for cheese, half of which nobody wants to touch when the box is first opened. Don't get me started on anything wrapped in filo pastry.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy feasting at Christmas, but for the life of me, I can't see the point of splashing out on inferior foods, just because it gets packaged in a red and green container with pictures of holly on it.

Why aren't people demanding that supermarkets just stock up on decent quality cheeses, hams that you cook yourself etc. In years gone by, Christmas took a bit of preparation, but what a better treat it was to enjoy than the ready-made, tasteless junk they flog these days?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ferrero Rocher - Chocolate dusted Gravel

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I probably agree, but with the proviso that I never have room for cheese at Christmas (I would add that it's not the most healthy of foods, but it is lack of spare gastric space that is the main issue).

needabreak likes this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't really like most of the items that you have criticised. I have tried them but I no longer buy them. There are plenty of Christmas foods that I love: mince pies, stollen, Turkey, brandy butter, Christmas cake, French soft cheeses. I buy those. Presumably other people like those other items. If there was no demand they would not be on offer.

5. bombaysapphire

I am happy to eat yours. Chocolate and hazelnuts - yum! I would prefer a bar of dark chocolate with nuts in but FR will do.

towncryer likes this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You don't have to buy the junk, I don't.

minnie me likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I ignore it. I think it is crazy / obscene the amount of ‘ stuff ‘ on the shelves . Makes me laugh to see supermarkets piling the aisles with tins of Quality Street / Roses as if they are unavailable / rationed prio to December or some rare festive commodity. What larks ?! The ‘ traditional ‘ goods we often associate with Christmas are available all year round anyway ?

towncryer likes this.
  8. Duke of York

I don't know if that's really the case, @bombaysapphire. I think people have been distracted away from the joy of traditional Christmas feasting by ever-more elaborate fripperies and presents, so have no choice but to opt for cheaper options when it comes to food.

I can remember my mother baking sausage rolls and mince pies on Christmas Eve while we put the tree up. She always waited until Christmas Eve before buying a tree, because they would be giving them away for next to nothing.

Anyway we all grabbed the sausage rolls as soon as they came out of the oven and she had to make some more, but they were fantastic. Shortcrust pastry and proper butcher's sausagemeat.

I had a look today at the relative cost of doing what my mum did and buying ready made frozen sausage rolls in puff pastry. My mum's sort would come to around four quid and were to die for, the frozen junk ones cost a quid and taste awful.

What goes into the average trolley these days though?

border_walker and towncryer like this.
  9. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I have promised myself not to buy one of those mini cheeseboards for a fiver this year - I always end up chucking out the stuff with cranberries in or the blue cheeses. This year I am getting a piece of brie, camembert, that soft garlicky cheese and our usual cheddar - and that's it. I agree about the cheese biscuits but I have already got a tin of Jacob's - because I liked the tin. :oops:

Edit: my Christmas avatar isn't working yet. :(

towncryer likes this.
  10. bombaysapphire

Cheese with fruit in, candied fruit, cheese footballs and those mixed packets of biscuits are not cheaper options.

Sundaytrekker and InkyP like this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I like cheese with fruit in. Cheese and fruit go together in my opinion, I often have an apple with cheese. Also fruit cake with cheese, I think that's a Northern thing.

vannie, mothorchid, colpee and 2 others like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You have to watch fruit, it gets ahead of itself and you find it everywhere it shouldn't be. Beer! it even gets into beer sometimes, which is a crime against humanity.

Although I admit I did make some mildish chili sauce with mango a little while ago which goes really well with cheese.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I love them! Got a big box and can't wait to get started on them.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Ferrero Rocher - the vilest concoction ever!

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Turkey - too dry and too much of it
    Sprouts - yuk
    Stuffing - don't like it
    Mince Pies - hate them
    Christmas cake - too caloric and takes forever to eat it all
    Christmas pud - see Christmas cake

Xmas teatime buffet this year, leftovers on Boxing day, end of story. :)

16. Duke of York

And why not? By all means shake out the apple, orange and nuts out of your Christmas stocking to eat with your cheese, if that's what you like. Just don't stock every supermarket shelf with it all ploughed in together, so the more discerning can enjoy cheese in all its glory.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Most Christmas food away from Christmas itself... except marzipan... I love me some marzipan.

But sprouts away for Christmas day are just odd.

18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Crackers, cheese and a side of fruit is one of my favorite snacks - tonight it was San Agur, Camembert and blueberries :)

InkyP likes this.
  19. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

We have a family rule where we get to choose 3 food or drink items that l buy especially for Christmas - mine are Bendicks bittermints, garner’s pickled shallots and whisky. I home make sausage rolls and mince pies too.

Marshall likes this.
  20. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

I was really disappointed by panettone (can't even spell it) Very dry and bready!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.