1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many cats is too many?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bmackender, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

I really really really want a third cat - my partner is not too keen on the idea...... he has written me a long list of tasks to achieve before I can do it!
    So really a couple of things?
    How many cats is too many?
    Have any of you introduced a kitten to 2 adolescent cats and have any advice on how to do it successfully? My two lovely cats (1 boy, 1 girl, both ~18 months- 2 years) get along great even though they aren't siblings and I don't want to mess that up!
    Sorry if I'm too crazy cat lady!

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

One.

dodie102, colpee, dumbbells66 and 4 others like this.
  3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I think we've had something like this before? Cats are generally not sociable creatures and hate their routine being disrupted. Introducing a possibly too-lively kitten to a pair of well-established cats may not go down too well. Enjoy the two you have.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Agreed, one.
    (Unless you really don't like you neighbours)

nomad likes this.
  5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Depends how concerned you are about the local bird population, I guess.

dodie102 and nizebaby like this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

One.

nomad likes this.
  7. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

depends on the current cats, you often end up with situations where you've two, or three, cat communities within a single house.

I had a similar dilemma recently, but with dogs, one in rescue that was desperate for the right home and to get out of rescue, I fostered him initially to be sure of the impact on my other two, that lasted a whole 8 hours - I woke up to find a heap of hounds with the other two very much nurturing and reassuring the newest addition.

Cats are socially very different to dogs though.

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

My daughter has two cats, mother and two offspring (boys) one to the left in pic. The other boy gets beaten up by his mum and Tigger. When I (eventually) move I am supposed to be getting Tigger, so his brother gets an easier life. He is a big cool cat, but a bit of a ruffian. Its supposed to be for the sake of peace. Cats are not really social creatures, they put up with huming beans cos we are stupid enough to say "cute pussycat" and feed them goodies, provide them with dry warm places so they can treat us with disdain, and do that winking bumhole thing when they turn their backs in contempt at us pathetic humans.

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yup, one.
    Next door has 8 or so, and they much prefer my lovely garden as their toilet.

nomad likes this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Our ndn has a cat that never enters our garden. So does the ndn on the other side and the one next door to that. No problem at all.

On the he other hand, a ruffian from a couple of roads away has messed in the piers and sat in the middle of the salvia and squashed it. Mr F is very cross and has invested in as many deterrents as he can find. It’ll be a water pistol next.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Cats enjoy company, so 2 is better than one. But I'd stop there. (Sister-in-law used to have 6..far too many!)

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

[​IMG]

nomad likes this.
  13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Where'd you get that picture of Tigger?

14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have two and would love more .... time spent with them is never wasted ... they are a joy

Laphroig likes this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Your partner has an interestingly dispassionate way of expressing reluctance about something you want in your own life-he isn't an Escape Room Local Franchise Designer by any chance?

knitone and magic surf bus like this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We had two, but only because they'd shared a pen at the rescue place and the lady wouldn't split them up. There was a cat flap in the front door but one became the house cat and the other was the very much garden cat - their paths only crossed at feeding times and when the flap was shut at night in the winter. They didn't fight apart from the occasional hiss, but neither were they best buddies. We wouldn't have introduced a third once they were established.

sodalime likes this.
  17. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My two - 6 years old now - have only ever been together and barely tolerate each other. One goes out quite a lot and the other prefers to be at home. The only thing they do together is eat!

1 person likes this.
  18. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

What sort of tasks? Are we talking clear an area for food bowls and litter trays, or is it more of a fetching the jewelled eye of the rainbow god?

Bmackender and sodalime like this.
  19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have two - sisters - who adore each other and tolerate my husband and me. But I wouldn't add a third cat, kitten or not, as it would cause the dynamic to be altered and I can't see it having a good outcome.

harsh-but-fair and sodalime like this.
  20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Owning one cat that can write would be useful, two must be marvellous!