1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many calories to feel OK and happy and still lose weight?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by sebedina, Jan 15, 2012.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Has anyone successfully lost 3 stone by themselves? I am 13 and a half stone, female in early 40s. I have tried dieting but get ravenous or depressed on diets so haven't been able to stick to it.
    Yesterday for example, I started with good intentions thought to cut down on carbs. I had a small omlette for breakfast and small pitta bread and 3 hotdogs at 2.30pm, then by 4.-00pm I was so ravenous I could EAT MY OWN FINGERS!!! So ended up eating LOADS in the evening, totalling nearly 3,000 calories.
    On an average day I eat between 2,500 - 3,000 cals and have done this on average past 10 years. (in between bouts of unsuccessful dieting). I teach full time and at weekends teach 1-1 students so I am not a lazy person.
    I am now thinking perhaps to do it slowly and for the first week eat maybe 1,800 calories, then second week 1,700 on average and see how I feel. I seem to have been obsessed with diets for the last 10 years (when the weight has gone on slowly) but can't stick to any of them as always feel anxious on them or hungry.
    There must be people who have managed to control their weight long term while remaining fulfulled and happy?

2. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Has anyone successfully lost 3 stone by themselves? I am 13 and a half stone, female in early 40s. I have tried dieting but get ravenous or depressed on diets so haven't been able to stick to it.
    Yesterday for example, I started with good intentions thought to cut down on carbs. I had a small omlette for breakfast and small pitta bread and 3 hotdogs at 2.30pm, then by 4.-00pm I was so ravenous I could EAT MY OWN FINGERS!!! So ended up eating LOADS in the evening, totalling nearly 3,000 calories.
    On an average day I eat between 2,500 - 3,000 cals and have done this on average past 10 years. (in between bouts of unsuccessful dieting). I teach full time and at weekends teach 1-1 students so I am not a lazy person.
    I am now thinking perhaps to do it slowly and for the first week eat maybe 1,800 calories, then second week 1,700 on average and see how I feel. I seem to have been obsessed with diets for the last 10 years (when the weight has gone on slowly) but can't stick to any of them as always feel anxious on them or hungry.
    There must be people who have managed to control their weight long term while remaining fulfulled and happy?

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've lost 6 stone "by myself" as you put it.

I think you're focusing too much on what you're not eating and not enough on what you are eating. You need nutrition!
    I worked out my own "rules" which I stick to most of the time, focused on what I do want to eat.
    For example, a normal school day might be:
    Porridge made with oats and dried fruit
    Apple at breaktime
    A large salad - perhaps with leaves, tomato, carrot, sweetcorn, egg, olives, etc
    Vegetable curry with brown rice
    Yogurt and fruit
    And a few mugs of tea along the way.

I know I need protein, I know I need dairy, I know I need a whole variety of fruit and veg for vitamins and minerals, so I build them in to every day.
    I have no idea how many calories I eat - it doesn't matter so much as healthy eating in my eyes. I feel well on it and the weight has just fallen off.

So all in all - worry about what you are eating rather than how many calories are in a hot dog.

4. I think lilac is right - it's not the number of calories you eat but the type of food. So for example you could eat 2000 calories of chocolate for breakfast but you would be ravenous by lunch time as it just doesn't have the bulk to fill you up.
    I think you need to make sure you eat food which is low fat but filling. So complex carbs, lean protein and loads of fruit and veg (fresh, frozen or canned will be fine).

Maybe have a look at Spark People on line as this is a weight loss and healthy eating web site which is free and has loads of resources on it including forums which are are very supportive too.

(BTW I am fighting the fat at the moment too and after having done SW and WW I know the only wya for me to do it is to make sure I want to and make sure I am organised with having the correct food in the house).

Good luck!

5. Nutrition is extremely important and some foods will obviously make you feel fuller for longer than others will. For example, eating foods high in sugar and fat will give you the quick boost you are looking for when you're ravenous, but you will soon crash and feel even more hungry than you were before. Eating slow release carbs and low fat protein with plenty of fruit and veg is always the way to go.

However, you do need a combination of both nutrition and calorie awareness.

1lb = 3,500 calories.

You should never aim to lose more than 2lb in a week as you will soon pile the pounds back on when you stop watching your diet so religiously. (However, if you are slightly bigger, you may lose more than this in your first few weeks, but that is fine, provided you stabilise about 1-2lbs per week after that).

So for a healthy weight loss of about 1lb a week you need to cut back on 500 calories per day. This does not have to be through diet alone. Consider cutting back on a (measly!) 200 calories a day from food, teamed with 30 minutes of vigorous exercise (or any other combination depending on what you feel able to do - you appear very busy, e.g. diet some days, exercise others) and the weight should fall off. SLOWLY is key. It WILL take a long time, but that is good! A quick fix is exactly that....

6. Yes, there are. I don't restrict myself on food but I don't really drink alcohol, home make my food (no packet stuff or microwave meals) and exercise a lot. (3 exercise classes a week along with a bit of cycling and about 15 miles running).
    While I like the odd sweet like cake, chocolate or biscuits its not something I need a daily hit on. I'd be mouch more enclined to slaver over the prospect of a lovely, fresh and crisp chicken ceaser salad than a slice of victoria sponge.
    I agree with other posters that its more about what you are eating. Why don't you try more slow release foods like porridge, brown rice, bananas etc. These will stop you from getting ravenous.
    I'd be careful about trying to go too far under the amount you should have. A better technique if you want to lose it is to eat sensibly but do regular exercise.
    This is why diets don't work in the long run,they provide a short term fix but aren't sustainable in many cases. The best thing to do is look at developing a healthy lifestyle that you can maintain.
    Good luck!

7. To lose 6 stone on your own is fantastic! I have a stone to lose and have been saying for the past 12 months that i will do it. Use to to do alot of training that helped to keep my weight under control. Find myself eating healthy during the day, lots of fruit and fish but in the evening i am ravenous. Has anyone tried any of the many pills on the market which help to suppress your appetite?

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In the past I have lost 1st., 1 1/2 st, 2 1/2 and last time 3st 'on my own', But as you see looking at those figures, after a couple of years put back the pounds and ended up 'heavier' than the previous time I started the diet!
    Cutting back too much on calories doesn't work -tends to send the body into 'starvation mode' and hangs on to all the fat it can.
    I also have the added problem of an underactive thyroid, which makes it more difficult for me to lose weight. Each time I have, it has been as a result of building in an exercise regime and 'eating sensibly'. Last time I did it, I <u>didn't lose a single ounce</u> for the first 3 weeks and it was really hard to motivate myself to continue So after that I followed Rosemary Connelly's advice- not to constantly weigh myself but to measure myself instead and slowly slowly started to lose inches-weighing myself about once a month. After 9 months I had lost loads of inches, making me feel better about myself and a total of 3 st, back to 8st 4, just a little heavier than when I first got married!
    Swimming once a week and exercising for 20-30 mins a day 6 days a week ,1 day off for the body to recover (apparently this is quite important). I followed a healthy eating regime, rather than a diet, actually including quite a few carbs as their energy was burnt off faster but lasted longer and indulged myself once a fortnight to a meal where 'I didn't worry' as we tend to go out with family to celebrate birthdays once a month for 6 months of the year and it coincided.
    However since having a couple of longer-term supply posts when I was working longer hours to catch up/impress etc, making poor food choices when I'm not employed and therefore not exercising . . . . means I shall have 4 stone to lose this time!

9. Don't touch them with a bargepole.

10. keep away from them and the ones which say they keep fat off work by stopping your body storing the fat so you end up on the toilet all the time as it runs through you.
    Eat less move more
    Keep foods fresh and try to eat as much as you can of what "comes from the earth" so fruit and veg should make up most of your diet. The you need your protein and diary.
    Keep away from anything with refined sugar and all fast foods. If you fancy a curry make your own.
    Use quorn mince. Use fat free vinegarette instead of salad dressing.
    Eat brown bread instead of white if you must have bread.
    Have frozen yogurt instead of ice cream etc

11. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

The most important thing I learned was that when I feel hungry, it's time to eat. It can be very hard with families and children to work around, but for me, I found that it was important to recognise when I was hungry and eat something. But making sure that I stopped eating when full.
    This helped with my portion sizes; I was simply cooking too much and eating it rather than saving it for the freezer or something.
    If you want to keep track of calories, I'd say that aiming for around 1700-1800 per day is probably about right, especially if you've been eating upto to 3000 in a day. Add in a 30 minute walk as many days as possible and you'll shave some calories off that way too.
    Good luck
    Eva x x x