1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many books do you read?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by knitone, Jan 9, 2016.

1. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35261648
    I read the above article on BBC news and I was struck by the fact that the journalist seemed to think this worthy of mention:
    Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg gets through a book a fortnight.
    A book a fortnight is hardly a spectacular accomplishment, is it?
    I know a lot depends on the type of book being read. I can read a Terry Pratchett in a day or two, but a (popular) science book, even dumbed down to my level, could take a week or so if I hope to understand it fully. But, how many, and what type of, books do you read?

2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Read mostly fiction (modern) and probably get through around one a week - significantly more in the holidays. So no one a fortnight doesn't sound particularly impressive.

I have just started foraying into non-fiction and I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of some of the writing - however also dismayed sometimes.

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I agree a book per fortnight is no achievement; I am reduced to about that rate myself nowadays as I mostly only settle with a book late evening only.

My most frequent reading is non-fiction history, politics, military, people and travel/exploration mixed with ebook odd and classics (free from Gutenberg).

The children read much more, generally despatching books at a much faster rate.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Depends on the book. If I get drawn in I'll finish it in a day or two, doing little else over that period.

Working full time makes that a luxury, however. I read at least four novels over the Christmas break, but this past week have put in close to 55 hours at work so far, and have had little time to read. I've now got a lot to do this weekend, house-wise and workwise, so will not read very much.

In term time, therefore, I'd say a novel a fortnight would be good going for me.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Further to the article in the link, I don't believe in speed-reading. What's the point? A good novel is worthy of my full consideration, I think.

Noja, cissy3, Burndenpark and 4 others like this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I agree. I know it doesn't matter at all in the scheme of things but a novel takes at least months to write, maybe even years, it seems disrespectful to skim through it as fast as you can.

I also find that if I read a book too quickly it never seems to sink in and I can't really remember whats been going on.

cissy3, Burndenpark and smoothnewt like this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am aware I do not read enough of books but i do read considerably on the computer in the form of article, newspapers views and opinions.
    If reading for pleasure then i have started to move to a kindle which i pick up and read during computer times.reading for say 30 minutes and then back to computer,reading non fiction is harder but tend to read if a title,idea or view catches my opinion or interest.
    I find in the house a room where i can sit comfortably to read is lacking.I would so like a reading room with a comfortable chair,coffee and some quiet music and a lockable door so I am left alone lol. So often we are surrounded by noise and TV, and the TV deters my reading as i end up gawping at the set.Music is fine but i can't read in bed and be comfortable.and I seem to get followed around in the house as the wife keeps wanting to chat inbetween knitting, usually about knitting! Although, in the summer, i sit in the garden to sit stare and often read..alas often you can get distracted out there by some creature or thing.
    I find a book a fortnight about right for what i do.but if I were to spend a day say reading i would feel guilty thinking i should be doing other things in my house.i am not conditioned to taking time out for myself for long :(
    Now motor bike season is arriving I may have less time :)

colpee likes this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I rarely read books these days. As a kid, I was a perpetual reader, forever in the library, but as an adult, my reading was mostly done when commuting or on holiday, during which I would get through a novel per day.

I entirely agree that there is little point in speed reading if you take pleasure in the clever use of language.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Now, I read between 10 and 20 books a year. I only read what is of real interest to me, whereas in years gone by I would read for work as well as for pleasure.

10. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I used to read at least one book a week. It's slowed down now as I've less time, but I manage on average one a week including reading more in the hols. I go for a mixture of historical fiction, history, crime, chick-lit, self-help, classics, sci-fi, fantasy...

11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I don't read that much now either. Not for pleasure at least, and not books. When I was a kid I read all the time, anything and everything. I remember reading the cereal packets and jars of jam over and over again at breakfast because I didn't have a book handy. I picked up the habit again when I was in the jungle and actually read everything in the admittedly rather limited book collection at the lodge, which led to me reading I Claudius 3 times back to back for lack of anything else. I still would rather be reading something than watching something, which is why I rarely know what TV and film stars look like, but I can recognise them from their voice, but I tend to read websites, forums and blogs rather than books now.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd guess at 20-30 a year... I seem to have got into the habit of posting about the books I've read on the 'Books' forum...

Felt bad for it as no-one else seemed to use it.

When I was younger, it was mostly Sci-Fi... now a mix of thrillers, horror, historical, some Sci-Fi and factual stuff that takes my fancy.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

On holiday, I will read a book every day. In the holidays one or two a week but in term time maybe one a fortnight or so. If I really like something I will finish it that day.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I've never counted but I'm much like Flere I think

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've no idea how people can read a book in a day... I think my brain mustn't be focused enough... I can't get 'lost' in a book... other things distract me.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I come on here now and faff about if I've not got the concentration for a book.

17. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

I cannot be without something to read-total bookworm!
    I don't sleep well, so read before I fall asleep-eventually- and if I wake early . I also read while commuting- makes interminable bus trips in busy London traffic bearable. I reckon I read a book a week at least- more in holiday times.
    I mainly read fiction - classics and crime are favourites.

18. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

You need a fair amount of time to read a book. 12 hours or more. I tend to do it when train commuting as it is not a very sociable activity.

19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Depends on the book really?

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I get really involved in a book I focus completely to the exclusion of anything else and always have done. If it's really good I won't start a new one immediately as I like to think about it for a while. I tend to read a book a day on holiday and now that I'm not working I can still do that occasionally but usually finish a book in a couple of days and still appreciate the use of language etc. I go to the library now as well as using my kindle but there are a lot of paper books in my collection that I want to read again.